Pool House Renovation = reworking pool equipment - Keep Jandy iQ904-PS or migrate to Pentair Intellicenter I8PS with IC-60 ?

RichTJ99

Gold Supporter
Sep 16, 2016
Katonah NY
Hi,

I am redoing my pool house & am possibly moving my pool equipment which is currently located inside. For automation I have a 10+ year old Jandy IQ904 (Jandy IQ904-P AquaLink RS Control Sys Price Includes Free Installation, Delivery & Tax* - Better Buy Pool Supply) system for automation which works fine & does the job for my pool/spa.

Part of the remodel requires that the pool panel (separate sub panel in that building) needs to be relocated. As i am going to need a new pool power panel anyway I was thinking about the Pentair Intellicenter I8PS (or I10PS) with a IC-60 salt generator. The quote I got was close to $9,000 for the automation equipment, installed, plumbed, etc. That is reinstalling everything, new pipes, valves, etc & the automation. The electrician wants close to $2,000 for a dedicated pool panel which then would need to be hooked up by the pool company either back to my Jandy or into a new Pentair intellicenter automation.

There is nothing wrong with the jandy but it is old, the wifi only supports 802.11b which my Unifi equipment cant run - I have had it connected via ethernet which is sort of a wash as I prefer it anyway.

I think my options are:

Keep Jandy $0.00
New reqular panel: $2,000
Plumber hook up pipes: $3,000
Install Jandy (I did it last time): $0.00
Total Cost: $5,000

Pentair Automation installed built in panel: $6,000
Plumber hook up pipes: $3,000
Total Cost: $9,000

Option 1 requires me to do a the work which I have no problem doing but am fine not doing it.
Option 2 lets me use the Pentair in substitution of the electricians panel, adds salt to my pool, allows me not to do anything (plus lets me be lazy, minus has me skipping the learning portion).

The cost difference is $4,000, addition of salt, and 'newer' automation. FYI - the Jandy has been fine for my needs.

Any feedback would be great.

Thanks,
Rich

The IC60 alone is $1700 to $2000 today at trusted online retailers, often about half the cost of a PBs/ pool service's installed price. So let's be conservative and spitball it's adding $3k to the renovation and you're only $1000 off, to not have to do any work, getting a system upgrade, *and* going salt.

Let's assume (*Usual disclaimers apply) that you're at 1k ppm salt and need 2500, that's about 20 bags in 40k gallons for $175 (with tax), eating further into the $1k price difference.

*all the +s don't change that you have to pay the $9k, but it really helps justify it more IMO.

You could add a Jandy SWG to the 1st option, but their biggest model is for 40k pools and will need to run 24/7 to add enough daily FC in the peak season. (Admittedly only a few weeks in NY and not a dea breaker like it would be somewhere with an 8 month season). .

Thank you - I was thinking along the same lines. I installed the Jandy originally and it was a good learning experience but as i get older - I am OK with not getting as involved. Plus i think the salt conversion would be great.

I guess its an easy answer on that one.

I will ask another question - one option suggested was to move the pool equipment out of the pool house entirely, build a small insulated shed for the equipment on the far side. Current plan is to shrink the equipment room, jackhammer floor expose pipes, build pit for sump pump / when draining filter.

Optional - Jackhammer pipes
That requires jackhammering up the patio a bit, running new pipes, etc. The cost on that option is roughly $19,500 - I am struggling with it a bit as im not entirely sure its worthwhile. Also as you said the summer is fairly short in NY & I think it gives us a way to put a counter facing the kitchen but not sure what else it gains logistically.

Plus - suddenly I am adding $28,500 to the project fairly quickly with these options.

Attachments

• Pool.JPG
    Pool.JPG
    148.2 KB · Views: 5
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.