Results two years and two court dates later

That’s a serious retaining wall. I didn’t see any drainage behind the wall. Are you pouring a concrete deck around the pool so no worries about moisture getting down near the footing of the wall and building up over time?
It will be decked over with concrete but I think there will be at least a couple of pipes to relieve water. I also had a previously existing french drain in front of the first wall which should also help. After the walls and basement foundation are done, I think the elevation will be reduced on the backside to around 4 feet from the current 9.5 feet.

Yesterday was a busy day with a dozen people running around, vehicles in the driveway and along the road. Got all the walls in place except part of the back when their concrete pump broke. Today they are back finishing the footings for the pool house and preparing for the poured wall foundation. Also the stonemasons are back today. They were unable to work the last two days due to the shotcrete, etc. IMG_0534.jpgIMG_0533.jpgIMG_0532.jpgIMG_0527.jpg

They came and poured the footings for the pool house. They will have to get the forms up to pour the remaining walls and that will complete that portion and then they can get the plumbing situated into the equip area and prep for the deck to be poured.

View attachment 383867
Wow - lots of work going on. Do you have any diagrams/renders of what all is being built? Looks very impressive!

Do you have any diagrams/renders of what all is being built?
Just this sketch below which had some changes. The pool house was changed to 22 feet deep to accommodate a garage door and walk in door at the basement level on the side where the drive is shown. Originally I had planned on putting a walk in door on the left side towards the house but it would have ended up underground on that side The equip pad depth was reduced to 5 feet deep partially for the same reason, to gain wall space down below. It ends up that the 4 ft x 8 ft equipment area the builder said would be adequate is not and that I will have to locate the heat pump off to the side on the main deck area. I'm ready to get this thing finished and all these people out of here. Our 12 week build is now going into month 10.

pool structure layout.png

Reactions: joepaiii
They are back today shooting the walls for the equip pad area and prepping the footings for basement walls which are planned to pour tomorrow. If everything goes as planned, that will complete all the walls and then they can run the plumbing lines, etc to the equip pad area, install the deck drain piping and get it ready for the concrete decking to be poured. Will be so glad when this is over. It's been the longest 10 months of my quoted 12 week build.IMG_0702.jpg

They have started forming up for the pool house basement walls and connecting pipe for the deck drains. There is still some work forming the walls and the pour is scheduled to be done next week. Afterwards, have to waterproof the basement wall and run drain tile in gravel around the foundation wall and cover. Another set of steps from the pool deck down to the back yard area left to pour. Will be able to get all the plumbing run soon and the deck concreted.
IMG_0709.jpgIMG_0706.jpg

Looking at getting a few deck jets. Builder uses Hayward for most things, don't know specifically about deck jets. I like the Pentair ones with the led lights but they seem sort of expensive. Contract quotes $300 each for deck jets so I'm sure it would not be the Pentair. I was looking at some videos and it looked like at night the jet stream could pick up on the pool led colors, sort of back toward the spout. Does anyone here have experience with plain jets and if they will take on the color of the led lighting in the pool? Or if I want a colored stream, is the Pentair my only option?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I can’t imagine how a deck jet will take on the color of the lights in the pool other then where the jet hits the water.

The colored light in the deck jet is aimed up into the plume to light the jet.

I can’t imagine how a deck jet will take on the color of the lights in the pool other then where the jet hits the water.

The colored light in the deck jet is aimed up into the plume to light the jet.
It may just be an illusion but in the video I watched the stream appeared to have a hint of color from the lights in the pool.

On the Pentair deck jets, if the LED's stop working what is the resolution? New jets or can the LED's be replaced. Are there any other quality deck jets that are illuminated that are a cheaper alternative to the Pentair? How are the deck jets installed in the deck, is it more or less permanent or are conduits run and you can change them out?

It may just be an illusion but in the video I watched the stream appeared to have a hint of color from the lights in the pool.

It all depends on the effects you are looking for. The Pentair gives you this lighted show...

Just to be clear - Pentair has three deck jet devices...

Deck Jet and Deck Jet II are stream jets and not lit.

Pentair MagicStream Laminars are lit...

On the Pentair deck jets, if the LED's stop working what is the resolution? New jets or can the LED's be replaced.

You buy a new LED light engine for around $700. See...

Are there any other quality deck jets that are illuminated that are a cheaper alternative to the Pentair?

How are the deck jets installed in the deck, is it more or less permanent or are conduits run and you can change them out?

They are permanent. See

Thanks for all the info.

My builder is going to get a price on the Hayward LED Laminars (the brand he uses) but has never put one in. Will see how pricey they are and decide between that or regular ones. Does anyone know anything about the Hayward version and if they function and hold up OK?

I will say that deck jets are extremely noisy. It is not a soothing white noise either, like the bubblers or scuppers. I do not know about how noisy laminars are. Laminars may be quieter as they seem to have a continuous stream of water.

The only time I use my deck jets is when there are kids over and they want to play in them. Otherwise I have them scheduled to come on 3 times a week for 15 minutes to flush the piping. That is all they get used.

--Jeff

They are permanent
Do the housings allow them to be replaced if they go bad, or go with another brand later on? The contractor that would be doing the install is independent of the builder. The builder uses Hayward, I am just wondering if the Pentair ones would be better and if the Haywards went bad, could the same basin be used to install a different kind. Or is the jet itself encased in concrete?

The only time I use my deck jets is when there are kids over
That is one of the big reasons I would put them in, for our daughter. I think they would look fantastic at night although my wife says we will probably not be out there at night. But still interested.

My deck jets are completely encased in the concrete deck. No changing them out without major work.

I think the lighted laminars would look great at night. In fact, I wish I had known the difference between a deck jet and a laminar when I built my pool. I would have done laminars which might have gotten more use.

--Jeff

I think it will take some deck surgery to change a deck jet to another model. I have not had experience with that to know any of them are interchangeable.

I think CMP, Hayward, Pentair, and Jandy are all about the same. I would give CMP a close look. They have to be a bit better to compete with the big 3.

I think it will take some deck surgery to change a deck jet to another model. I have not had experience with that to know any of them are interchangeable.

I think CMP, Hayward, Pentair, and Jandy are all about the same. I would give CMP a close look. They have to be a bit better to compete with the big 3.
My builder said he had never put in a led laminar but it would be the concrete contractor that would put it in and he also does pools, so he may have experience with them. I should see him next week and can ask. My biggest concern would be to install them and they fail. I will have a Hayward controller so I don't know how all that integrates, or if it does.

I will have a Hayward controller so I don't know how all that integrates, or if it does.

CMP claims to have SmartSynch technology...

You have to order the correct part number. For Hayward you arr H to the end of the part number.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.