CT
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool Edge-25
I was looking to replace my hoses and started thinking why are pool hoses not made of silicone? They tend to get pin holes after time and seem to take a beating in the sun. What would be the downfall if I used automotive silicone hoses instead? I figure as long as I am within the bend radius these things typically are rated at 80psi or more burst pressure. I would also upgrade the hose clamps to T bolt clams.

Adding a bit more background on thoughts and reasoning...

Do you happen to know what the intake/return pressure for a pool is? My 1HP Hayward pump rarely if ever gets to 20psi. What a standard pool hose is rated for? I know the pump to filter are typically nylon re-enforced hose to handle the higher pressures.

The primary reason for this is I had an Intex 9x18 for a few years completely hard piped. Due to the design of the rectangle pool the walls move much more than say would a circular pool. With that I did notice that even utilizing longer runs with the PVC to minimize the flex that the pipes still took a beating over the years (all the plumbing is stored indoors for the winter).

This year we upgraded to a 12x24 Intex and of course everything has to be replumbed. My "new" thought and process is to hard pipe everything but leaving a 3-foot gap utilizing a 1.5" to barb fitting and utilize a hose to absorb the flex of the pool placing less stress on the hard pipes. As typically pool hoses seem to need replacing every few years and not really designed for continual flexing at the same level as what an Intex pool travels I figure I could just do a one and done... This is what I was thinking of using...