Pool Heater recommendations

Nitz2

Jul 15, 2018
Lake Oswego/OR
Need some input. I replaced a Raypak heater (35 yrs old) with a new Raypak btu266 in 2011. It was supposed to be commercial grade. 2012 the control panel died, replaced it under warranty. 2013-2014 a few ignition issues. 2015 the control panel died, replaced it at my cost. 2016 it ran great. 2017 constant issues. 2018 it died. Very disappointed that I have to replace it so soon. We only run it from May through September. First estimate is for a Penair, pricey and I am not familiar with the brand. Getting a second estimate for a Raypak. I heard that as a reaction to the recession, Raypak changed their products to less expensive materials to maintain their prices. I was hoping to get a least a dozen years of issue free performance out of a new heater. Any insights, advice or suggestions?

Raypak btu266 is not a specific model. Raypak has a few different gas 266 BTU heaters. What model number do you have?

Heaters are a commodity. Pentair, Hayward, Jandy, Raypak heaters all show up here with problems. In my opinion all pool equipment quality has declined over the last 10 years. Raypak is a Rheem company and you can get sales and service outside of the pool equipment channels and markups.

We continue to recommend Raypak heaters. I have a Pentair MasterTemp heater that has served me well for many years. Like you say it is pricey and it has more expensive parts that can fail then the Raypak heaters.

Heaters last longest if they get used frequently, you have correct water chemistry, and give it periodic maintenance. Heaters that sit idle for long periods of time tend to have problems and not last long.

Reactions: JoyfulNoise
Raypak & Pentair use different heating techniques and so the comparison is a bit “apples to oranges”. Raypak is the more traditional burner tube geometry like a BBQ or hot water heater. Gas is injected into a manifold of burner tubes with the heat driving the flow of exhaust out the stack. Pentair uses a “forced air” heater where gas is mixed with air in a blower assembly and the flame + heat is forced into the combustion chamber where the heat exchanger is. Raypak heaters will be more susceptible to wind and atmospheric issues causing flame roll out problems and dirty combustion tubes while Pentair heaters tend to suffer more from expensive parts breaking or weird electrical issues messing up the Fenwal controller. It’s sort of a “pick your poison” kind of dilemma. Most people here like Raypak because they’re fairly easy to diagnose and parts are a lot cheaper. Either heater will do the job with roughly the same efficiency as the thermodynamics of gas combustion heating don’t really depend on whose label is on the front cabinet.

I would say if you had a Raypak, then stick with them. I don’t really see any advantage to changing. My guess is you got a lemon with the last one and it’s just luck of the draw in terms of longevity.

We've gotten a lot of heater problems lately. Seems to be pretty much all brands. I'd pick one you like for reasons like price, efficiency, or warranty. If you DIY Jandy does not provide any warranty others may shorten but still give some. That could be a factor for you. Raypak does still seem to have more fans here. When I replace mine it will most likely be Pentair. I just like the brand and I think any brand can last a long time with decent water chemistry balance plus replace only parts that prove bad with effective use of diagnostics.

Chris

Raypak btu266 is not a specific model. Raypak has a few different gas 266 BTU heaters. What model number do you have?

Heaters are a commodity. Pentair, Hayward, Jandy, Raypak heaters all show up here with problems. In my opinion all pool equipment quality has declined over the last 10 years. Raypak is a Rheem company and you can get sales and service outside of the pool equipment channels and markups.

We continue to recommend Raypak heaters. I have a Pentair MasterTemp heater that has served me well for many years. Like you say it is pricey and it has more expensive parts that can fail then the Raypak heaters.

Heaters last longest if they get used frequently, you have correct water chemistry, and give it periodic maintenance. Heaters that sit idle for long periods of time tend to have problems and not last long.
It's Model C-R266A-EN-A ASME to be precise. Unfortunately running it through the winter would not be affordable. Choice would be heating the house or the pool. It's nice that it is in an enclosed room, with vents, that protect it from the weather. I will look at the idea of purchasing one directly. Thanks

We've gotten a lot of heater problems lately. Seems to be pretty much all brands. I'd pick one you like for reasons like price, efficiency, or warranty. If you DIY Jandy does not provide any warranty others may shorten but still give some. That could be a factor for you. Raypak does still seem to have more fans here. When I replace mine it will most likely be Pentair. I just like the brand and I think any brand can last a long time with decent water chemistry balance plus replace only parts that prove bad with effective use of diagnostics.

Chris

Thanks

It's Model C-R266A-EN-A ASME to be precise. Unfortunately running it through the winter would not be affordable. Choice would be heating the house or the pool. It's nice that it is in an enclosed room, with vents, that protect it from the weather. I will look at the idea of purchasing one directly. Thanks

It is not expected to run the heater during the winter. But you should winterize it and clean it before being shutdown for the season.

Chris

Thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Raypak & Pentair use different heating techniques and so the comparison is a bit “apples to oranges”. Raypak is the more traditional burner tube geometry like a BBQ or hot water heater. Gas is injected into a manifold of burner tubes with the heat driving the flow of exhaust out the stack. Pentair uses a “forced air” heater where gas is mixed with air in a blower assembly and the flame + heat is forced into the combustion chamber where the heat exchanger is. Raypak heaters will be more susceptible to wind and atmospheric issues causing flame roll out problems and dirty combustion tubes while Pentair heaters tend to suffer more from expensive parts breaking or weird electrical issues messing up the Fenwal controller. It’s sort of a “pick your poison” kind of dilemma. Most people here like Raypak because they’re fairly easy to diagnose and parts are a lot cheaper. Either heater will do the job with roughly the same efficiency as the thermodynamics of gas combustion heating don’t really depend on whose label is on the front cabinet.

I would say if you had a Raypak, then stick with them. I don’t really see any advantage to changing. My guess is you got a lemon with the last one and it’s just luck of the draw in terms of longevity.

Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.