Pool heater bypass and check valve

Jul 31, 2014
Toledo, Ohio
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I'm installing a new pool heater for my inground pool. I am going to plumb in a bypass so I can bypass the heater when it's not in use. I know I need a check valve between the chlorinator and the heater outlet. I also read somewhere that there should be a check valve in the bypass system.

So, looking at the diagram, I'm wondering if I need one or two check valves. If only one, would it be in position #1 or #2? Check valve #1 only would stop the chlorine from backing up, but when the heater if bypassed, pressure would be seen by the heater outlet.

Check valve #2 only would stop chlorine from entering the heater outlet, and stop water from entering when the heater if bypassed. But chlorine could conceivably enter the filter when the heater is bypassed.

Thoughts?

Thanks for your help!111280

You only need #2.

Chlorine entering the filter is not an issue. Tablets also contain acid. The acidic water entering a heater can corrode the heat exchanger. That is what valve #2 protects.

Note that we do not recommend using tablet chlorinators. They constantly add CYA and eventually your CYA level becomes unmanageable. We recommend chlorinating with liquid chlorine, a SWG, or Stenner pump. See

Thanks for your reply. I'm a big fan of the TFP method, and I use liquid chlorine. I only use the chlorinator when I'm away from home for a week or more. My CYA is still very low (10).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.