NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
I’m in the process of researching a pool heater specifically Raypak 406A. In the manual it states that the recommended free chlorine level should be 2 to 3 ppm. Not to exceed five ppm. According to TFP standards with a SWG the target for free chlorine is 5 ppm.
So if I run my free chlorine at 5ppm am I constantly going to be corroding the heat exchanger on the heater? I’m not sure at what ppm to run the FC.
Any suggestions will be helpful.

Thank you

Many manufactures pool chemistry recommendations have not been updated in decades. The 5 ppm chlorine maximum assumes no CYA and does not consider how CYA buffers chlorine. If you have 0 CYA then we would agree with a 5 ppm chlorine maximum.

Many many folks run Raypak and other heaters with TFP Recommended Levels. You will be fine.

Reactions: ScottieBones
I’m in the process of researching a pool heater specifically Raypak 406A. In the manual it states that the recommended free chlorine level should be 2 to 3 ppm. Not to exceed five ppm. According to TFP standards with a SWG the target for free chlorine is 5 ppm.
So if I run my free chlorine at 5ppm am I constantly going to be corroding the heat exchanger on the heater? I’m not sure at what ppm to run the FC.
Any suggestions will be helpful.

Thank you
The important thing with a heater is to try and keep your PH in range 7.2-7.8 ppm and your Calcium levels around 200ppm even with a Vinyl pool. A low PH with low calcium levels is what will corrode your heater.

The important thing with a heater is to try and keep your PH in range 7.2-7.8 ppm and your Calcium levels around 200ppm even with a Vinyl pool. A low PH with low calcium levels is what will corrode your heater.
Good to know. Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.