Pool heat pump?

outatime

Apr 6, 2015
Davenport
Hi Guys

Whats considered one of the better pool heaters out there and which should be avoided? I have had a few over the years but it seems they have been bought out by other companies and the names change around. At some homes locally a Submit heater was popular till a couple of years later the compressor failed and shot oil into the pool. I have been working with Heat Siphon of late and they seem like a medium sized almost family company and there heaters look great, the style doesn't change and all the parts seem pretty easy to purchase, I look after a home thats got one running ten years now. Anyone have any experience with this heater? They seem pricier than others made by Pentair for example? Are Rheem still considered a good brand? I know with A/C units a guy I spoke too seem to think they have gone through a lot of changes. What electric heater would you buy to heat your pool?

Many thanks

Stu

pooldv

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Aug 10, 2012
FL panhandle
Yes, Rheem is still good. All of the major heat pump brands are fine. I haven't seen any brand have more failures or problems. Pentair, Hayward and Raypak are three popular brands.

JGP32

Oct 10, 2014
Cincinnati, OH
Hi
I have basically the same question. About to purchase a heat pump. I have been looking at Heat Siphon as well as Aquacal and GulfStream. Any opinions or advice on these brands?
thanks
JGP

Pyrodav

Gold Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Dec 11, 2016
Chillicothe/ohio
Hi
I have basically the same question. About to purchase a heat pump. I have been looking at Heat Siphon as well as Aquacal and GulfStream. Any opinions or advice on these brands?
thanks
JGP
Do you have natural gas? Im not sure Ohio is a good place for a pool heat pump.

JGP32

Oct 10, 2014
Cincinnati, OH
Do you have natural gas? Im not sure Ohio is a good place for a pool heat pump.
Thanks Pyrodav - no gas and prewired electric for a heat pump. Based on my needs, the research I've done leads me to believe a heat pump will be just fine. However, there are not many reviews of the three brands I asked about. And so as not to hijack the original thread, one of those three was the one that the OP was asking about.
Regards
JGP

remixmark

Feb 23, 2017
Saline, MI
Hi
thanks
JGP
I'm in the same boat so I did some googling and was able to get some great information. I just filled out an inquiry form and they called me and sent me some info about these two brands.

I'm looking at a GulfStream because of the low cost and high COP.