Pool has been unused at least 2 years....

Arms, I'm not sure because I'm not on site, but the thing with that plan is if there's a lot of debris your filter/pump is going to choke a lot initially with your pressure skyrocketing. Eg. I had a sand filter and at first was backwashing every half hour and cleaning out the pump basket. You might be better off when you start up the pump only pulling from the drain, half open, not the skimmer, simultaneously adding chlorine while leaf raking/removing debris -- because you're stirring the water to circulate the chlorine (which normally filtration would do) but getting any big stuff away from the drain.

And if the water has gone "anaerobic" (no oxygen, ammonia build up, etc.) in this case the open air will help despite the sunlight for the algae.

Is the cover a makeshift one or a real winter cover with bolts in the cement? If its the latter, there is a special tool you need to remove. I'm guessing its the ake shift type.

Ok, I've seen that type of set up. (Ours was a winter cover but god knows wh anyone didn't put in on for a few years til fanny Mae took over!)

I'm a little concerned about the idea of turning on the equipment without removing at least enough of the grate structure to have access to the skimmer and main drain to try to clear around it even though you'd be working blind.

Our fear had been clogging the lines with debris and then having a second and more difficult problem.

I discussed your situation with my husband yesterday and asked him, knowing what we now know, he'd advise you to do. We pretty much agreed that if we were to do it over again, it would have been easier to use the sheet method with a trash pump to expedite getting a majority of crud off the bottom.

You'll still have to SLAM (shock and maintain) the mixture of new and old water and whatnot, but it would dramatically reduce labor and time span of recovery, we think. That way, the trash pump is getting the bottom crud out enough to safely run the filter, but the visqueen sheet would damp down the smell in the interim. Just a thought.

You have some time to decide before closing, so here's a thread you can read from the guy who tried it a few years ago.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/52373-Foreclosure-Swamp-in-Pensacola-Florida!/page4

With all that said, enough chlorine and scooping will in fact do the job. Here's a pic of my swamp recovery across twelve days of shock and awe...you will note there is one image where you can see the water has become pretty clear but there's still a big pile of leaves in one corner that we'd missed....which is how I know that with enough chlorine, it will still clear even with some organic matter left behind ;) we hadn't wanted to vacuum blind, as we only had the vac that connected straight into the skimmer.

I'm posting this so you can see the color change progression. That is a big clue that its working ;)

image.jpg

You got a lot of good advice so far and it sounds like your on the right track. I will be following this one. I like green to clean posts. Take pictures and ask questions. I can tell you your filter will be your thorn. A DE is great at keeping a pool clean. You said everything had unions. If your not good with plumbing, find a friend willing to help. If all the unions face the same way. Get a union and flex hose. Make a bypass from the pump to the pool return. The first stage of the slam your killing the algae. Once it's white and settles, you can vac to waist. Then you can start the filtering to get it clear. It will also give you time to open the filter and do a good clean and inspection.

As someone with several green springs and debris filled pools under their belt, I can offer some suggestions

With a DE filter and leaves, the filter will plug within 5 minutes of starting the vacuum process. Find a way to remove the DE filter from the system until you have physically removed as many leaves/sticks/frogs/needles/**** as you can.
My pump and filter are directly coupled (no hose/pipe... just a special bullnose union). I removed my DE filter and replaced it with a bypass union made out of a bullnose union, a standard union, a hose fitting and connected to my return hose.

A leaf pre-filter will save you hours of time changing DE and money. I have a Hayward W560 but there are others. It connect into my manual vacuum head's hose between the hose and skimmer connection. With the leaf filter, and my DE filter removed and bypass fitting in place, you can filter out leaves and other debris without clogging up the DE filter body in place. Keep using the manual vacuum and leaf per-filter until you can vacuum the floor of the pool for 30 minutes and not fill the filter basket.

Once you get to a point where the leaves and other crud are out of the pool, then start the actual filtering with DE and testing of the water. A pool with leaves will never clear up and will consume chlorine faster than a college kid and beer.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I do not know what that other pipe was for, but I do not think it was another pump.

You have everything you need to get the water moving (and filtering). At the beginning it might be easier to run in recirculation mode until the algae is mostly dead and then start filtering it out.

Oh man that would kill me LOL! I am the get in and get it done kind of person.

Oh well better to follow the rules. You have already learned so much so once you do get in you will hit the ground running or the water swimming!

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.