Pool has been sitting. Unsure how to start.

JKritzy21

Jun 14, 2021
Nanticoke Pennsylvania
I've lived with this pool all my life and know the basics from watching my parents take care of it. However, life took over and we haven't had a chance to open for a couple years. Got the filter running last season and started to clear it up a bit before I noticed high filter pressure I couldn't figure out. It would run normal for a few hours but slowly built outside of the normal range. Threw in the towel when my son was born. Now I really would like to have my pool for the kids to swim this season. Pretty sure I tackled the pressure issue because I quickly put everything together last season and didn't make sure all of my connections and hoses were air tight. Should I change the filter sand? And how do I start tackling this swamp? I've already scooped out as much debris I could come across.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: I have no doubt you have algae as your primary problem. To kill and remover algae, you'll want to follow the SLAM Process. To perform the SLAM Process, you must have a proper test kit, either a TF-100 (link in my signature) or Taylor K-2006C. That's a must. You should probably start there and with the link below and let us know once you have one of those kits and post a full set of water test results. We'll be happy to coach you through the SLAM Process. Don't forget to update your signature. See mine as an example.

Hello fellow Pennsylvanian and welcome to TFP! Follow the advice here and you'll be in good hands. Definitely get yourself a good test kit and steady supply of liquid chlorine. I haven't seen much of an issue with stock in my part of PA so hopefully you don't either.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.