pool has air leak after pump,

May 29, 2013
hi folks
UK member here, I getting old so a lot slower than I was, so takes a long time to sink in, so be easy with me

I've an in ground pool, with the pump and some pipework below the pool water level (its in a pit)
I can here air in the pipework between the pump outlet and the pool return (including the Filter)
the pipes are close together so I can't tell if the water is getting in the feed pipework to the filter or filter to pool
the pump has no air in it,
when pump on I can hear water going though the pipework (but you can hear its not full of water there is air in it)
when pimp switched off you can hear the water dropping back down the pipework, (as if its falling back down to its natural level-- eg pool water level)
there is no water leaking or spraying out anywhere, so does that suggest air getting into multi valve ?

how do I find where the air is getting in,

I've attached photos
I think the pool water level would be just on the bottom filter connection to the multi valve

Attachments

• filter.jpg
    filter.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 31
  • pump pit.jpg
    pump pit.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 31
Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: If you can hear the sound of air in the system, but don't have or see any leaks from the pipes, it could just be a suction-side air leak. A suction side leak pulls air "in" to the system, some place between the poolside skimmer to the pump - often times originating at the pump basket (clear) lid O-ring. If the leak was "after" the pump/filter (pressure side), you should see water coming out when the system is on.

You might take a look at the TFP Pool School - Suction Side Air Leaks page to see if any of those tips work for you. You can also look at the Pool School - Leak Detection page.

Let us know. Nice to have you with us.

thanks for quick reply
is the suction side up to pump & filter or just up to the pump ?
is the pressure side from the pump though the filter and into the pool, or just from filter to the pool ?
as I've said I can't see any air in the water at the pump basket chamber, so does suggest no leaks before the pump,
and as I don't see any water around the pipeworks or the floor on the outlet side of the pump though the filter and then back towards the pool, where could air get in but water not get out ?
if air was in before the filter would that air stay above the filter water level ?
as you see in photo my filter has a plastic clear head which I have a pressure guage in the top of,

can you have air entering the system without allowing water out ?

is the suction side up to pump & filter or just up to the pump?
Just to the pump
is the pressure side from the pump though the filter and into the pool, or just from filter to the pool?
From the back-side of the pump (outlet) all the way to the return jets.
as I've said I can't see any air in the water at the pump basket chamber, so does suggest no leaks before the pump,
It would seem to rule that suction side out, but wanted to let you know anyways.
and as I don't see any water around the pipeworks or the floor on the outlet side of the pump though the filter and then back towards the pool, where could air get in but water not get out ?
Perhaps in a line that's underground
if air was in before the filter would that air stay above the filter water level?
That's hard to say in my opinion. Air before the filter should eventually get pushed down-line, either to the pump basket or the filter itself. Do you ever find excess air in the filter itself? Do you have an air relief on the filter?
as you see in photo my filter has a plastic clear head which I have a pressure gauge in the top of, can you have air entering the system without allowing water out?
Yes. In fact that can happen in other areas as well since air can penetrate some gaps better than water getting pushed out. So it can certainly be tricky. Sometimes turning-off the system and listening carefully for air hissing or any unusual sounds can help isolate a potential weak spot. So on the pressure side, thee can be times when you don't find water leaks with pressure on, but when turned-off, air can get sucked-in.

just had a play with soapy water,
I have a slight air leak from the multiport connection to rtn pipe, but it is very slight
but I found that the handle on the multiport may be giving me problems
with pump switched off if I touch the handle not move it I hear air getting in
I've filled the hole around the handle with water to see if the rubbers are letting air in that way water stays at the top so rubbers should be ok
removed the top plate and inside the body by the side of the spider rubber is very rough, as it sand has rubbed it
spider rubber looks ok

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.