Pool Hades... New User...

Aug 12, 2018
New Orleans, LA
Hello Everyone,

I have enjoyed 11 years of Pool bliss. After spending the last few days researching this site I have no idea how I have survived. I have only used a cheap reagent test system consisting of only Chlorine & PH... I cannot tell you if I'm reading FC/Total Chlorine/PH/Total Alkalinity... etc. For the most part I have kept the chlorine reading around 2-3ppm and PH around 7.4. Historically, I have shocked about every 10-12 days... using my failing eyesight to determine if any cloudiness is developing and if so, then shocking. There have been a few times when I was on vacation where upon return I had to shock the day-lights out of it. Apparently, when it comes to pools... I am perhaps the luckiest man on the planet.

I am desirous of making it even simpler in that I would like to start using Liquid Chlorine (as opposed to the pucks). I have been looking into the Stenner and that is probably the route I will take. I found some recommendations on Liquid Chlorine @ 10% but when checking the manufacturer and supplier (Home Depot, Lowes, Tractor Supply etc) I could not find 10% on the Manufacturers or Suppliers Specifications? I found vague references to ranges of percentage and *trade secret*. When I did find specific percentages they were 5.5, 6.5, 8.25 etc?

Does 10% chlorine exist? Who makes it? Where the heck can I get it? Would a Chemical Supplier (I used to purchase 55 gallon drums of reagent grade Methanol to make biodiesel for my daughter) be a better choice?

Any guidance is greatly appreciated... and, Thank You.

Dennis LaRock

Welcome to the forum:wave:

I guess my first reaction is you have a long standing history of successful pool water management......why do you want to change it?

Simpler? Hardly. Liquid chlorine will have you lugging more bottles and the stenner is one more mechanical thing to go wrong and you will need to test more frequently.

What we teach is certainly a more precise method of pool care but when you said "simpler", I think you should read further as to what's involved. It sounds like you are as simple as you can get right now.....and with pretty good success.

Thank you Dave! I'm with you on all points. However, I have never liked the Hayward Hopper... and, it needs to be replaced (this will be the 4th). But more importantly, I'm the only one who can load it. I have tried to teach my wife over the years but that is not going to happen. Lugging isn't a problem... I have a dozen trucks (my personal is an f350 diesel dually). I am (or was) imagining that my wife could load the liquid chlorine if I'm out of town, which I am frequently. I would also like to *see* that the chlorine needs to be replenished rather than through testing... which my wife doesn't engage in either.

I will *probably* regret the experiment... although, it may not happen at all if I'm unable to find a good reagent grade Liquid Chlorine.

Thank You!