Pool green for over a year.

*obligatory ‘use extreme caution’. My dog ran across my solar cover 5 minutes after it was installed, thinking it was the greatest short cut ever. Luckily he was cocooned with his head above water because it took 10 mins to get him to the side and out. If he was under it would have gone different. As tough and cool as Mrs Nacho is, she won’t be any match for the wet cover. So best of luck and be extra safe. :)

Started the tarp method today. If all goes well there should be about 9,000 gallons on top of the tarp in the morning.
View attachment 373244
Congrats on getting the pool to almost clear! So nice of you to put in all this time. Without reading back, I've lost the plot on why you are doing a water exchange. The water looks like it's clearing up nicely, and your CYA isn't high (I seem to recall it is actually non-existent!) Why the water exchange??

*obligatory ‘use extreme caution’. My dog ran across my solar cover 5 minutes after it was installed, thinking it was the greatest short cut ever. Luckily he was cocooned with his head above water because it took 10 mins to get him to the side and out. If he was under it would have gone different. As tough and cool as Mrs Nacho is, she won’t be any match for the wet cover. So best of luck and be extra safe. :)
Last thing I told her - "Your only instructions for today are to stay away from the pool".
Congrats on getting the pool to almost clear! So nice of you to put in all this time. Without reading back, I've lost the plot on why you are doing a water exchange. The water looks like it's clearing up nicely, and your CYA isn't high (I seem to recall it is actually non-existent!) Why the water exchange??
Bromide was added to the pool & her calcium is very high. The water is also still very cloudy, not sure if that's from the calcium or something else but even a DE filter wasn't clearing it up very fast. The filters I was using take 7 lbs of DE & we used over 50 lbs of DE. I must have had 8 -10 hours into cleaning filters. Probably wishful thinking but hope to get close to 90% of the water exchanged.

Reactions: Newdude and PCR
Last thing I told her - "Your only instructions for today are to stay away from the pool".

Bromide was added to the pool & her calcium is very high. The water is also still very cloudy, not sure if that's from the calcium or something else but even a DE filter wasn't clearing it up very fast. The filters I was using take 7 lbs of DE & we used over 50 lbs of DE. I must have had 8 -10 hours into cleaning filters. Probably wishful thinking but hope to get close to 90% of the water exchanged.
Oh right! Forgot about the Bromide. Best of luck to you!

Again……. I know you’re being careful. :) One Mis step or trip and that tarp would swallow you whole. You may or may not be able to break free. It weighs a truckton wrapped around you (my dog) with 1000 or so gallons trapped in the cocoon.

Keep being careful. (y)

Last night there was a water main break near her home so we only added about 5,000 gallons instead of 9,000. Total so far is 13,000 gallons. From the current water level it will take another 13,000 to refill.
Thu - 13,000 + 13,000 = 26,000. 26,000 /42,000 = 62% exchange
Fri - 22,000 + 13,000 = 35,000. 35,000/ 42,000 = 83% exchange
Sat - 31,000 + 13,000 = 44,000. 44,000/42,000 = 105% exchange
It's hard to tell from the pictures but the tarp is forming to the deep end quite nicely.

IMG_0816.JPG

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
A couple of surprises today.

Good surprise - 9,500 gallons went in over the last 24 hrs increasing the total to 23,000 gallons on top of the tarp. After about 1 hour of pumping water from under the tarp the tarp was pulled tight against the bottom (and the vacuum head - LOL).

View from shallow end.
IMG_0822.JPG

View looking down into deep end.
IMG_0821.JPG

Bad surprise - Pulled the tarp & the water is still cloudy. How can one or two thousand gallons of water that might have been left under the tarp make all that water this cloudy? It was overcast & windy today so I couldn't get a very good picture. Added a gallon (all we had left) of chlorine and are running the filter overnight. IMG_0824.JPG

How can one or two thousand gallons of water that might have been left under the tarp make all that water this cloudy?
Because it was the muckiest most settled part of the old pool water that mixed. That's still a bazillion times better and will be a quick SLAM to finish off. You KILLED it. Chin. Up. :)

Because it was the muckiest most settled part of the old pool water that mixed. That's still a bazillion times better and will be a quick SLAM to finish off. You KILLED it. Chin. Up. :)
I suppose it could have settled a lot in the last 3 days leaving sediment on the bottom that didn't get pumped out with the water. Maybe a reminder of what we started with will help.
IMG_0694.JPG

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.