Pool friendly trees

esim13 said:
I'm not an expert but I an avid planter and gardener. I have always been told that bamboo will not spread if it is contained within it's container. If planted in the ground it will spread like crazy. My neighbor has bamboo in two huge pots. I'm talking 4 ft tall by atleast 30in diameter. I have yet to see them spread out of the pots. I'm thinking that maybe the planters you have could contain the bamboo. When they tried them in the front of the property were they contained in a planter of some kind or just planted in the ground? May be something to ask garden center. I was also thinking that you may be able to just get bamboo poles of varying heights and widths to stand in the planters with mulch or rocks around them??? Just a few thoughts....... good luck!

This is true, Unless the planters are on the ground (dirt) and the roots can spread through the drainage holes of planters, the bamboo will have no where to go. There are some "southern magnolias" that are evergreen but like somebody said earlier they will drop their flowers and at some point will lose leaves. Some of these magnolias are suitable for containers. Nice thing about magnolias is their leaves are large and thick enough to easily be scooped up.

Thank you! :bowdown:

I thought that contained in the planters, the bamboo couldn't spread. And, yes, the bamboo down front wasn't contained.

Theses planters are wooden boxes on the pool deck, so there won't be any spreading by roots. I was only worried about it 'going to seed', like grass and spreading that way.

Again, thanks to all who have responded to this thread :goodjob:

I know in the initial post you said No to palms - but consider the Windmill cold-hardy palm, as others have mentioned. They are tough. A little spendy up front, maintenance is minor (trim only the dead fronds) and they look beautiful. You sure will get the tropical look you're after.

Mine survived a week of freezing with no issue, down to 7F this winter. I know ya northerners will laugh at that, but for us, that's serious weather ;)

Yucca. Looks tropical, non shedding, winter hardy check the Intl Peace Garden in ND, can get huge, blooms infrequently but when it does it looks really cool, low to no maintenance.

The suggestion of temporary tropicals is a good one. You may be able to use a sturdy evergreen grass in the front, then the tropicals in the middle or rear, depending on the size of the planter. Here in Texas I'd use 4 x 1 gallon giant liriope (mature size 30") or some similar grass surrounding cannas (medium or tall variety, fancy leaves are better) in the middle, and tuck caladium bulbs in between the liriope. Bulbs would be removed each fall for storage. Care may require soap based spray for leaf rolling bugs and trimming the spent stalks of cannas after blooming.

accidental chemist said:
"Windmill Fan Palm" It has a hairy trunk. I have seen them growing on the Normandy Coast of France. Check the map, it gets a little nippy there in the winters.

I was going to suggest the Windmill Fan Palm as well if you really wanted to go the Palm tree route. They really are cold hardy, I have some and even though I am in Texas we do have some nasty winters. Super Bowl displayed that. All you have to do is wrap the trunk in burlap once it gets to freezing and they will be fine.

accidental chemist said:
"Windmill Fan Palm" It has a hairy trunk. I have seen them growing on the Normandy Coast of France. Check the map, it gets a little nippy there in the winters.

Yep, plant some Windmill Palm Trees. They are originally from the mountains in China so they are winter hardy. If you check online you can find some good deals.
I just planted two young palms by my pool. I have many neighbors in our area who have them and they are gorgeous.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.