Pool Floor "Sinking" and Liner "Shrinking"

MdMcoupe

Bronze Supporter
Jul 20, 2018
Maryland
Was hoping for advice on how to handle the below situation. Pool is a Capri Resin/Steel 15x31x52 with a Unibead52 liner (pretty sure I ordered the thickest liner available). Pool was installed in May 2018. Over the past couple years I've noticed a couple of areas where pool floor was sinking (at pool floor - wall & it seems to be at the vertical pool supports).

Well this summer as you can see from the photos below, I've noticed where the floor has sunken about 2 inches and now is stretching the liner against the pool hardware. In the last month it's gotten worse (as you can see in the photos).

Did the installer not compact the sand enough in these areas and now it's sinking? Can I put a patch over this current problem area (any underwater patch recommendations?). Or is this a ticking time bomb and I am looking at a new liner/compacted sand by next spring?

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

DtkqaTJ.jpg

hLMvtd2.jpg

CNyJSXz.jpg

Did whoever installed this do a cove? Either sand or foam?

Hmmm.....? As in when they laid the sand during the install, they made these "coves" in these areas? I can't say 100%, but from what I remember the sand was laid totally flat.

Is that a thing? Do installers carve out "coves" in the sand? Maybe around the vertical supports? Well if they do, it seems to lead to issues LOL.

If you still have installation instructions for your pool, take a look. A cove, built all the way around the inside wall, is crucial for these pools. It supports the transition between floor and wall and the liners aren’t meant to stretch to fill that gap. If you are sure the sand was totally flat and you paid to have the install, you need to call them and make them fix this before your liner gets worse.

Just noticed your pool was installed in 2018. You are pretty lucky the liner has held up, but you can see what is going to happen to it.

Just noticed your pool was installed in 2018. You are pretty lucky the liner has held up, but you can see what is going to happen to it.
Kelly

Thank so much for the explanation. I am not sure I have the installation instructions anymore, but I will dig through the "house" file cabinet LOL.

Not sure you can answer this (as it maybe in the installation instructions) but should this cove go all the way around the pool bottom/wall? Pretty sure English wasn't the 1st language of the installers so I am not sure the instructions were followed.

I found online the install of a round Capri/Cornelius pool and see what you are talking about with the "Sand Cove". You are absolutely correct, these coves are installed around the base of the pool to protect the liner from cutting edges of the bottom wall. Judging from the instructions below, this cove ~4" of sand ramps up wall, looking at my pool this area is sinking. Totally the opposite. I really don't think this was installed properly and it took a few years for this to come to light. I am debating sending the installer a photo and asking what happened, and how much to repair replace the liner, and if they ask who installed it.......I'll say YOU guys did. But I am pretty sure I will reach out to a different installer. Thanks Kelly!

1692185624586.png

Kelly

Thank so much for the explanation. I am not sure I have the installation instructions anymore, but I will dig through the "house" file cabinet LOL.

Not sure you can answer this (as it maybe in the installation instructions) but should this cove go all the way around the pool bottom/wall? Pretty sure English wasn't the 1st language of the installers so I am not sure the instructions were followed.

I found online the install of a round Capri/Cornelius pool and see what you are talking about with the "Sand Cove". You are absolutely correct, these coves are installed around the base of the pool to protect the liner from cutting edges of the bottom wall. Judging from the instructions below, this cove ~4" of sand ramps up wall, looking at my pool this area is sinking. Totally the opposite. I really don't think this was installed properly and it took a few years for this to come to light. I am debating sending the installer a photo and asking what happened, and how much to repair replace the liner, and if they ask who installed it.......I'll say YOU guys did. But I am pretty sure I will reach out to a different installer. Thanks Kelly!

View attachment 522769
You bet! Honestly you could look at any installation instructions and they would say pretty much the same thing. Yep, the cove should go all around the base of the wall. I bought foam cove for mine - figured there wouldn’t be any wash-out issues with that.

You bet! Honestly you could look at any installation instructions and they would say pretty much the same thing. Yep, the cove should go all around the base of the wall. I bought foam cove for mine - figured there wouldn’t be any wash-out issues with that.

Any recommendations on a 15x32x52 Unibead liner? Saw one that was 30mil thickness but $899. But I see others around $400. Can I also purchase the foam cove to make sure the installer does it right the next time?

Again thanks so much for the help.

Any recommendations on a 15x32x52 Unibead liner? Saw one that was 30mil thickness but $899. But I see others around $400. Can I also purchase the foam cove to make sure the installer does it right the next time?

Again thanks so much for the help.
I don’t have any recommendations on liner - the 30ml is certainly expensive but may also last longer. Mine might be 27ml.

You can buy cove yourself! I bought mine separate from pool because I found a better deal elsewhere - now I just have to remember where.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Can you share some pictures of the whole pool (on the outside) & surrounding area that kind of shows the lay of the land/back fill?
Is the pool buried at all?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.