Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40

Ellen M

Bronze Supporter
Oct 25, 2020
San Diego
Hi. I am attaching several pictures of my pool. The decking, lawn, and plants are not completed at this stage.

We selected NPT midnight blue and thought we took out the green/teal by no quartz mix and no gold bag and substituted 2 bags per batch of cobalt blue glass. The installer failed to mention that the black and white pebble bags still have many brown, tan and even some slight gold color rocks. Hence, we really do not see blue water; mostly lagoon. The pictures are an illusion of blue as there is none when in or out of the pool. Where plaster has least rocks shows the blue plaster but rather then glad to see blue we know the installer needs to add rocks when it is cooler weather as we need to drain the pool and have him patch bare spots. There are enough to call it a medium to poor install. I did everything I knew to prevent this and ask for blue water. In hindsight I should have gone with a lighter guaranteed blue and added the Puerto Rico glass along with cobalt glass bags. I do not regret the mini pebble over the micro as micro felt like sandpaper and mini does not affect our feet at all.

The light stream beach shells are all our step trim and Art Deco 4" x 4" rainbow a glass from NPT it our lap lane markers on the floor and 2 on the walls at each end. No regrets with the AquaCal Super Quiet 225 heat pump running off our solar.

Feel free to reach out if any questions. Ellen M

Lightstream shell beach spa closeup shade.JPGSpa end view.jpgEntry step view.jpgIMG_5306-entry stairs in sun.jpg
2021 08.25 sun and shade view 3 pm.jpg2021 08.25 spa jewels.jpg2021 08.25 spa-shallow end view.jpgPool from deep end.jpgLighstream beach shells rear bench-step.jpgSpa closer up.jpg

Ellen M

Bronze Supporter
Oct 25, 2020
San Diego
Hi :)

Thank you so much for sharing this post with pictures. You are right, in the pictures it does look like the water is a blue water. I’m sad to know in person that it looks different. In the pictures the water color is beautiful. I know they say after brushing it a month or so the color becomes richer. So I would think yours would look different in a few weeks.

I hate to hear you are not happy with the color. I know how stressful this color decision is. I wish StoneScapes had a true midnight blue, to me that means dark blue and nothing else. I think PebbleTec has a perfect midnight blue. But like you our builder uses StoneScapes so I have to try and make it work. I honestly hope mine comes out as good as yours. I love the lagoon look to it.

Please send more pictures in a few weeks after brushing it. I’m in Georgia and things are backed up again with Ida coming through. We didn’t get hit but heavy rains always backs things up.

Thank you so much for sharing and for your help :)
Hi. Thank you for you post. Enjoy hearing from you. So, according to 4 people- my PB, the start up guy, the future pool maintainance guy, and the interior finish guy, mini pebble generally does not need much brushings unless there is plaster dust. The initial crew did a good job of removing most dust, the acid wash team removed the rest. The start up guy did not find any and I have not seen any either as I brush so they said no need to brush. The color is not changing. Only when in the water swimming with direct sunlight hitting the irridescant lap markers and glass beads we added do I see blue. Otherwise it is clearly lagoon. Sad but true.

Here are some more current pictures. You still will see the camera blue. Please feel free to ask anything. Ellen M

2021 08.24 spa-pool.jpg2021 08.25 Dolphin lane marker.jpg2021 08.25 pool.jpg2021 08.25 spa-pool 2.jpg2021 08.25 turtle lane marker.jpg
2021 08.29 Close up of interior.jpg2021 08.29 from inside spa 7 pm.jpg2021 09.01 1-30 pm pool-spa.jpg2021 09.01 from kitchen window.jpg2021 09.01 pool 1 pm.jpg

Reactions: Haku84

Haku84

May 20, 2021
Southern California
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-20
NPT Stonescapes Midnight Blue mini pebble with hand cast Puerto Rico blend glass (4 bags). Last three pictures are taken on day 28.

Attachments

• 1a.jpg
    1a.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 85
  • 499F268D-1D94-4A41-87A9-44C9D87B6146.jpg
    499F268D-1D94-4A41-87A9-44C9D87B6146.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 80
  • Baja2.jpg
    Baja2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 85
  • D81EE.jpg
    D81EE.jpg
    864.1 KB · Views: 91
  • landscape1.jpg
    landscape1.jpg
    568 KB · Views: 94
  • pool1.jpg
    pool1.jpg
    803.8 KB · Views: 89
  • a Final.jpeg
    a Final.jpeg
    892.2 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:

141park

Sep 19, 2021
Jax. Florida
Stonescapes Mini Pebble - Midnight Blue. 8 bags of Puerto Rico blend glass. View attachment 99781View attachment 99782View attachment 99783
Hi, I am strongly considering Stonescapes Mini Midnight Blue with Puerto Rican Blend as well. I wanted to go with Jewelscapes Opal Plus Barbados blue but nothing is in stock. So Plaster guy recommends using just the Midnight Blue dye and 12 bags of Puerto rican blend as a custom mix. Do you see any hint of green/teal in the water as I am trying to stay away from green/teal hints but want a deep rich blue. I appreciate it. Thanks

141park

Sep 19, 2021
Jax. Florida
Hi. Thank you for you post. Enjoy hearing from you. So, according to 4 people- my PB, the start up guy, the future pool maintainance guy, and the interior finish guy, mini pebble generally does not need much brushings unless there is plaster dust. The initial crew did a good job of removing most dust, the acid wash team removed the rest. The start up guy did not find any and I have not seen any either as I brush so they said no need to brush. The color is not changing. Only when in the water swimming with direct sunlight hitting the irridescant lap markers and glass beads we added do I see blue. Otherwise it is clearly lagoon. Sad but true.

Here are some more current pictures. You still will see the camera blue. Please feel free to ask anything. Ellen M

View attachment 369430View attachment 369431View attachment 369432View attachment 369433View attachment 369434
View attachment 369435View attachment 369436View attachment 369437View attachment 369438View attachment 369439
Hi, I am in the same situation wanting only BLUE and no green/teal. My plaster guy is suggesting just use the Midnight Blue dye but no pepple but only use Touch of Glass Cobalt Beads and rest all Puerto Rico Blend. I think you are right that the some pepple I wanted Jewelscapes Barbodos Blue and may still use that dye with Puerto Rico Blend.

Ellen M

Bronze Supporter
Oct 25, 2020
San Diego
Hi, I am strongly considering Stonescapes Mini Midnight Blue with Puerto Rican Blend as well. I wanted to go with Jewelscapes Opal Plus Barbados blue but nothing is in stock. So Plaster guy recommends using just the Midnight Blue dye and 12 bags of Puerto rican blend as a custom mix. Do you see any hint of green/teal in the water as I am trying to stay away from green/teal hints but want a deep rich blue. I appreciate it. Thanks
Personally I think that would work. The midnight plaster is not the problem it is the pebbles as no one told me the black pebbles and the white pebbles still have tan and gold pebbles in the mix! So hence I have teal dark water! I should have trusted my gut and gone without pebbles but no one recommended just glass. I did 9 black pebble, 1 white, 2 cobalt blue glass. I like the glass. I would not mind some pebble but should have done the blue pebble if it was only blue and I wish I added the Puerto Rico bland to lighten the amount of dark pebbles. Hope this helps encourage you. Ellen M
87760CE8-4026-4747-AAE4-6715920772EF.jpeg2CCDB34B-33B6-45F7-B8A2-BB1FC85D6B8C.jpeg

Reactions: 141park

Ellen M

Bronze Supporter
Oct 25, 2020
San Diego
As I was swimming today I thought about idea of adding more Cobalt blue glass as well if you want a richer blue. Maybe 10 Puerto Rican Blend 2 Cobalt Blue. Just a thought as I meditated during my swim. I do very much regret the pebble and the constant teal view and lagoon color in shade. Black pebble does make lagoon despite others saying not true. It is sad but too late for us. This is the one time I did not stick to my intuition and listened to the pool builder and the plaster guy - yet both did say they never created this before but was assuring there would be no teal or black look! Ellen M

Ellen M

Bronze Supporter
Oct 25, 2020
San Diego
Hi, are you noticing green/teal in the water or is it a deep blue? Are you able to see the pool bottom? Thank you!
I do not recommend pebble, at least not the black and I see teal/green in sunlight and lagoon whenever shade. Hence early am some teal/green; mid day half the length is shade and lagoon and other half teal. I can see the bottom in sun, not in shade. I can see bottom regardless with goggles. At night with 6 micro bright lights the bottom is fully lit and the water appears blue with the white lights. At night I have a blue pool! So I tend to swim at least every night and once in day. I am spoiled by all the heat I want at any time. Of course we paid for it added excess solar panels as well as thermal solar and AquaCal 225 electric heat pump. We do use the gas when needed quick unplanned heat. At this point it is about swimming pleasure. Ellen M

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Haku84

May 20, 2021
Southern California
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hi, are you noticing green/teal in the water or is it a deep blue? Are you able to see the pool bottom? Thank you!
I don't see much green, some crystal teal in the afternoons. But in the mornings and at noon, I would say the color for me is an azure at times and other times a nice deep blue. Of course depending on the sun. I'm very happy with the color.

Last edited:

Haku84

May 20, 2021
Southern California
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
These pictures are from today at 1:00 p.m. full sun no cloud coverage.

Attachments

• pool1.jpg
    pool1.jpg
    828 KB · Views: 55
  • Pool 3.jpg
    Pool 3.jpg
    742.3 KB · Views: 56
  • Pool 4.jpg
    Pool 4.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 57
  • pool 2.jpg
    pool 2.jpg
    797.6 KB · Views: 57
  • Pool 5.jpg
    Pool 5.jpg
    720.4 KB · Views: 55

141park

Sep 19, 2021
Jax. Florida
Hi, I appreciate it. This helps. It is really nice but I still see Green in there compared to another fellow poster who had used 8 bags of Puerto Rico Blend. His pictures show that deep blue color. His pictures are on page 2 of 6 in this thread. But I really appreciate you sharing these pictures while I figure out what the best mix is. Thanks for everything

141park

Sep 19, 2021
Jax. Florida
I do not recommend pebble, at least not the black and I see teal/green in sunlight and lagoon whenever shade. Hence early am some teal/green; mid day half the length is shade and lagoon and other half teal. I can see the bottom in sun, not in shade. I can see bottom regardless with goggles. At night with 6 micro bright lights the bottom is fully lit and the water appears blue with the white lights. At night I have a blue pool! So I tend to swim at least every night and once in day. I am spoiled by all the heat I want at any time. Of course we paid for it added excess solar panels as well as thermal solar and AquaCal 225 electric heat pump. We do use the gas when needed quick unplanned heat. At this point it is about swimming pleasure. Ellen M
Thank you for all your replies. This helps while I figure out the right mix. I appreciate it

Nikilyn

Bronze Supporter
Sep 3, 2018
Gilbert, AZ
Pool Size
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hi, I appreciate it. This helps. It is really nice but I still see Green in there compared to another fellow poster who had used 8 bags of Puerto Rico Blend. His pictures show that deep blue color. His pictures are on page 2 of 6 in this thread. But I really appreciate you sharing these pictures while I figure out what the best mix is. Thanks for everything
You need to remember that the color is also affected by what is surrounding the pool. And photos on a screen aren’t the same as in person. What looks blue in photos may be more green in real life and vise versa.

Spookie

Silver Supporter
Dec 20, 2014
Highland, CA

I would say it looks more teal than it does blue.

TheNameIsSam

Sep 18, 2021
Arizona

Your pool looks great!

As much as I love Lavender, I'm not sure I'd put them along the edge of my pool. I have lavender along the walk way to my front door. Every spring they bloom very beautifully and the bees flock to them like crazy! I've got roses, along with other types of flowers and they are ignored while the lavenders are blooming.

Reactions: Ellen M

jimim

Bronze Supporter
Jun 20, 2016
NE/Pa
I second that. Even with my white hydrangea behind my pool back 8 feet there are too many bees for full bloom season. This year especially.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support