Pool filter leaking - will these crack?

haleytd

LifeTime Supporter
May 17, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Hello,

I haven't posted much since I found this site during my first pool crisis several years ago. Your sage advice has kept me "Trouble Free" since then; much appreciated. I live in NC and do not winterize my pool since it was built in 2011. This week I noticed the water level was low. I added water, but today I looked at the pump and filter to see where the water was going. The pad that the filter sits on is wet, with water running off of it. The pump sits on the same pad, but it's dry around the pump. I have a Jandy CV340 cartridge filter. I felt around the inlet, outlet, drain and vent connections, no water. I checked around the circumference beneath the o-ring, but it's dry. There appears to be water running from beneath the filter. I looked at the manual and there do not appear to be any other sources of leaks in the bottom half of the filter, unless it has developed a crack. I didn't find any posts of cracked housings on the internet, but I do see that Jandy sells a "bottom housing assy".

Anyone else heard of one cracking? Rather than replacing, is there any material that can be used to seal such a crack if I can find it? I tried to call Jandy, but they are closed for the holidays. I have a couple of days off where I could work on this, so I thought I'd hit you guys up in case anyone has experienced this.

Happy Holidays to all!

NCTim

You can take the filter apart and check to see if it is cracked. If you do find a crack, it needs to be replaced you should not repair it as it is a pressure vessel. It might be the drain valve however. But take the top off (turn off system first), then take out all the filters and plumbing. Then drain what water is in there and start testing/looking for leaks. Depending on price, you might be better off getting a new filter if you do find a crack. The price of just the base is probably close to the entire thing plus you will get 4 nice new cartridges with a new one! Make sure you reassemble with silicone/keg lube.

Thanks, I took it apart this afternoon and was not able to see a crack in the bottom. So, I reassembled and started it back up, and the leak came back. The water comes from beneath the filter, and it's leaking at a rate where water continuously drips off the pad, so it's a steady leak, not just a drip every once-in-a-while. Again I felt around the inlet, outlet, drain, and o-ring center seal to make sure the water was not coming from one of those and dripping beneath the filter.

I wonder if the crack only opens under pressure, or if the tightening of the o-ring strap causes it to open under strain. If it doesn't rain too hard tomorrow, I may take an endoscope that I got for Christmas last year and see if I can spot the leak. As Poolgate correctly said, I can't really fix it, but I'd feel better "knowing" what I need to do.

Is there a preferred vendor for the replacement filter, or should I just look for my best deal online? If anyone else has a suggestion, I'd appreciate it.

Well, that took me longer than I thought. I never did do the endoscope thing; it was pretty obvious there was a leak in the bottom somewhere. So I found the bottom assembly online for about $340 and ordered it. This morning I installed it. No leaks. I just took a good look at the old bottom and there is a molded section for a plug in the bottom (might be required for manufacturing). It has what appears to be a plug glued into it. There are small cracks all around the plug. With no further testing planned, I'm 99% sure that's the leak source .

Reactions: PoolGate
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.