Pool few days old..

Dec 5, 2018
Osceola/Florida
Well my pool is just about few days old after being filled.. havent even had final inspection yet... builder threw in some start up chemicals and so far so good... builder said he will return day of final inspection to add more chemicals and make sure all is well.. from there its up to me..

I went to lowes and so far have picked up these items Clorox Test strips, Florida Clorox chlorine tabs and Shock.. Anyone use Clorox ?

What else should I get to have on hand... ? thanks

I went to lowes and so far have picked up these items Clorox Test strips, Florida Clorox chlorine tabs and Shock.. Anyone use Clorox ?

What else should I get to have on hand... ? thanks

Congratulations on the new pool! Please return that stuff.

We recommend you get a proper test kit to apply the TFPC methods. Either the TF-100 Test Kits or the Taylor K-2006C. And get the Speedstir Magnetic Stirrer which make mixing easier. See Test Kits Compared

Get liquid chlorine or bleach with no additives. But not Clorox bleach which contains polymers. Get muratic acid to lower your pH. And get stabilizer to add CYA to the water. See Recommend Pool Chemicals

If you insist on using trichlor tablets do not use ones that say ”blue”. They contain copper which will accumulate in your water and eventually cause staining on your pool. And long term use of the tablets will raise your CYA to where your chemistry is unmanageable.

We don’t use shock chemicals.

Please read ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and Startup New Plaster and Pool Care Basics

Last edited:
First off, Clorox products have been found to cause problems in pools. Their pool salt sometimes has metals, their bleach now contains polymers, and the tabs you bought have copper in them. None of these things are good for your water or your pool surface. And test strips (aka "Guess Stips") are often inaccurate and only give you a rough range for a chemistry reading.

Here at TFP we want our pools to have sparkling clear safe water *and* our pool surfaces and equipment to be protected from unwanted ingredients. We're in for the long haul working to avoid premature plaster failure and such.

So we recommend only two test kits on the market- the TF-100 or the K-2006C (C version most comparable to the TF-100). The TF-100 is about $70, both use Taylor reagents. Check it out--> www.tftestkits.net

Have you read any of Pool School yet? Start with the Trouble Free Pool and then this one--> Trouble Free Pool

Maddie :flower:

Merf, I know everything seems overwhelming right now, but trust me, it will become easy within a short amount of time.

Like Allen mentioned, please return everything you purchased. ( I used to use Clorox products too) The number 1 thing that is required to knowing, and maintaining, a healthy and safe pool, is a proper test kit.
Follow the links that Allen posted to pick up the TF-100 test kit, or here is the link for the Taylor K2006-C kit. Both kits use the same regents, but the TF kit helps support the site, and is less expensive. ;)

While you wait for your kit to arrive, start reading up on the other links he posted, and that will get you up to speed on how to better understand things.
Once you get your kit, post up a full set of results, and people will start guiding you along. And as always, don’t be afraid to ask questions. :cheers:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.