Pool Fence Passing Code Question

Stevep2002

Jul 17, 2019
Wilmington, NC
We are finishing up our new pool install and we want to attach a 3’ galvanized steel snake fence (1/4”X1/4”) to our 54” pool fence. I’ve already attached some of the snake fence and realized it may not pass safety code. What are your thoughts? See photos

I will mostly likely take down what I have and reattach after inspection.

Thanks BAB6F717-C1A1-45CD-9529-8A9786EA45ED.png

The purpose of the fence code is to keep kids out of the pool. In many areas this is expanded to say the fence must discourage climbing. I'm a firm beleiver of not giveing an inspector anything to hang their hat on to fail an inspection.

If the top of that additional fencing is less than 44” from the bottom rail (it looks like it is) the inspector in our area would probably regard it as a ‘step’ and not approve. I imagine it’s going to pretty firmly attached. The small squares make it a non-issue as a toehold.
How far is that 2nd rail from the bottom one? 44” is the magic number here and I think that’s pretty universal.

If the top of that additional fencing is less than 44” from the bottom rail (it looks like it is) the inspector in our area would probably regard it as a ‘step’ and not approve. I imagine it’s going to pretty firmly attached. The small squares make it a non-issue as a toehold.
How far is that 2nd rail from the bottom one? 44” is the magic number here and I think that’s pretty universal.
I agree!!

But, I just wanted to say we love Pawley's!! We visit a few times a year.......

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.