Pool equipment suggestions

Eire

May 12, 2022
CT
Hi
New to the group and could do with some help. I have acquired a 20 x 40 in ground pool. It appears to be concrete with plaster walls. All of the equipment has been removed and piping cut back to ground level. I have established that there is 2 skimmers and one or two return lines to the bottom of the pool ( no returns on the pool walls) . The pool needs to be painted.so my first job is to Presure test the plumbing if all goes good Then go about prepping for painting. I have read up on this and I think I can get through it along with some mi or repair to the pool steps. I need some help in choosing the correct filter pump chlorination valves etc I a,so need to set up for a pool vacuum. As it happens that’s the only piece of equipment that was left and it looks in pretty good condition. I would appreciate any feed back on this. I haven’t filled in the pool specs on my profile yet as i don’t have anything to enter. This is a great group / forum. I have read and learned so much so far
Thanks so much
Brian

Congrats on the new pool.

Painting a pool is generally not recommended for anything other than a temporary fix. Finishes don't last long and when they go bad, they flake or dissolve in pool water. Have you considered a replaster?

Are you planning to add automation? How about a salt water chlorine generator (SWG)? You'll want a unit rated for 60K gallons which limits your choices to Pentair or CircuPool. If you plan to automate, all controlled components should be from the same manufacturer.

Are you doing the install or going with professional install? Warranties vary depending on who does the install. Some manufacturers offer extended bundle warranties.

I'm happy with me DE filter, but the current trend is cartridge filters. As a general rule (and with a 30K gallon pool) go as big as you can afford.

A large VS pump is recommended. They're more efficient and more quiet than lower horsepower versions. My choice is the Pentair IntelliFlo VS. Avoid the SVRS version.

Lots to think about...

Brian,

You have a big job ahead of you.

Most likely the pool was abandoned for a reason. It would make sense, before spending too much money, to make sure that all the underground plumbing is in good shape and not leaking or damaged.

Show us some pics of the pool and the old equipment pad etc.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Eire
Congrats on the new pool.

Painting a pool is generally not recommended for anything other than a temporary fix. Finishes don't last long and when they go bad, they flake or dissolve in pool water. Have you considered a replaster?

Are you planning to add automation? How about a salt water chlorine generator (SWG)? You'll want a unit rated for 60K gallons which limits your choices to Pentair or CircuPool. If you plan to automate, all controlled components should be from the same manufacturer.

Are you doing the install or going with professional install? Warranties vary depending on who does the install. Some manufacturers offer extended bundle warranties.

I'm happy with me DE filter, but the current trend is cartridge filters. As a general rule (and with a 30K gallon pool) go as big as you can afford.

A large VS pump is recommended. They're more efficient and more quiet than lower horsepower versions. My choice is the Pentair IntelliFlo VS. Avoid the SVRS version.

Lots to think about...
Not sure about automation. Certainly would like to go with a VS pump. Would I be wise to go with cartridge or sand filter. Don’t need salt but will need a means of adding chlorine.
Would you have recommendations on pump filter size and manufacturer ?
Thanks

E,

Just to make sure you understand..

A saltwater pool is a Chlorine pool... Instead of using tablets or liquid to add chlorine to your pool, you just let the pool makes its own chlorine. Saltwater pools have a Saltwater Chlorine Generator (SWCG) that uses the salt in the water to make chlorine. This is what I have and love it. I will never, ever go back to a non-saltwater pool.

That said, other than the SWCG, all the other equipment is the same.

I always recommend getting a large VS pump. The larger the pump the slower it can run and still move plenty of water. The slower the pump runs, the less it costs and the quieter it is. To run my 3 HP IntelliFlo costs me less than $20 bucks a month and the newer IntelliFlo's are even more energy efficient.

I have a large cartridge filter that I clean twice a year. I'm sure I could go a whole year, but my OCD won't let me.. :mrgreen: Keep in mind that I live in Texas where we do not close our pools, so my water is maintain 365.. I do not have to worry about opening to a swap and trying to get it clear at the beginning of each year.

I have three pools and they all have Pentair equipment. I have been very happy with it, so it is my go-to recommendation. But, in general, all the equipment made by the big three (Hayward, Jandy and Pentair) is about the same.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Not sure about automation. Certainly would like to go with a VS pump. Would I be wise to go with cartridge or sand filter. Don’t need salt but will need a means of adding chlorine.
Would you have recommendations on pump filter size and manufacturer ?
Thanks
What Jim said. I like Pentair, but I've never had anything else. My Intelliflo has been working flawlessly 4 over four years now. Supply line issues have made them hard to come by, so don't get locked into a single manufacturer if time is an issue.

Reactions: Eire
E,

Just to make sure you understand..

A saltwater pool is a Chlorine pool... Instead of using tablets or liquid to add chlorine to your pool, you just let the pool makes its own chlorine. Saltwater pools have a Saltwater Chlorine Generator (SWCG) that uses the salt in the water to make chlorine. This is what I have and love it. I will never, ever go back to a non-saltwater pool.

That said, other than the SWCG, all the other equipment is the same.

I always recommend getting a large VS pump. The larger the pump the slower it can run and still move plenty of water. The slower the pump runs, the less it costs and the quieter it is. To run my 3 HP IntelliFlo costs me less than $20 bucks a month and the newer IntelliFlo's are even more energy efficient.

I have a large cartridge filter that I clean twice a year. I'm sure I could go a whole year, but my OCD won't let me.. :mrgreen: Keep in mind that I live in Texas where we do not close our pools, so my water is maintain 365.. I do not have to worry about opening to a swap and trying to get it clear at the beginning of each year.

I have three pools and they all have Pentair equipment. I have been very happy with it, so it is my go-to recommendation. But, in general, all the equipment made by the big three (Hayward, Jandy and Pentair) is about the same.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Hi Jim
Your pump is 220V rated at 16A. Thats the way to go I would say. In your opinion if I have a 30K gal pool
What size type filter would you use with that pump. I’m going to upload the plumbing set up later there’s not a lot of of plumbing yo this pool. A couple of skimmers and a return line
Thanks for the heads up on the salt cell. Would this be a good option in my climate in the NE
I started a thread as suggested and uploaded a few pics of the clean up
Thanks again
Brian

What size type filter would you use with that pump.

Brian,

It is easy for me to spend your money, but just like I recommend large VS pumps, I also recommend the largest filter you can afford, for almost the same reasons. The larger the filter, the slower you can run the pump and still get great water flow. The bigger the filter, the less often you will have to clean it.

Other than the initial cost, there is just no downside to going big on VS pumps and large cartridge filters.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.