Pool Equipment replacement recommendations

Aug 19, 2018
Lutz, Florida
Hello all, long time follower, first-time poster. Recently purchased a new to me home with a 17K gallon IG pool in South West Florida. The pool was originally built in the 80's, and we are in the processes of refreshing it. I've had a SWG in the past and would like to convert this pool as well. I'm looking for recommendations on what to go with. The only piece of pool equipment we won't be replacing is the filter (its a new Hayward 30" sand filter). Looking for recommendations on automation, SWG, and pumps. Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the forum! :handshake:

Automation is best served by staying in one brand for the automation, pump, and SWCG. I have Pentair and it works well. Hayward, Jandy, etc have their same systems.

What do you want automation to do?

I suggest you read Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Trouble Free Pool School book.

Welcome to the forum! :handshake:

Automation is best served by staying in one brand for the automation, pump, and SWCG. I have Pentair and it works well. Hayward, Jandy, etc have their same systems.

What do you want automation to do?

I suggest you read Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Trouble Free Pool School book.

I've read both many times, and I have the full version of the pool math app on my phone, big fan!

I travel for work and would like the ability to turn the system on and off remotely, control speed of the pump, and control the chlorine output of the SWG. My past experience with a SWG was that the pool often needed Acid. (we used to go through a cup or so a week) I'm interested if anyone has experience with some of the automatic equipment for controlling PH.

Well, as a matter of fact I do!

All Pentair here, including their IntellipH. It's an acid injection system, that is working very well for me. It requires a Pentair IntelliChlor to function, so it isn't stand alone. Since getting both online, I haven't had to manually dose my pool for months. So far, I've only adjusted either gizmo in very small amounts, they've found their equilibrium, so to speak. I've gone five days without testing (mini-vacation) and came back to perfect levels, so I could have gone longer.

The IpH and IC "talk" to each other. The IpH uses the IC's transformer. The IpH makes use of the ICs flow and temperature sensors (so it won't inject when the pump is off or water too cold). And the IpH shuts off the IC when it is dispensing acid, presumably to avoid acid and chlorine from mixing together in the plumbing. I don't believe a Stenner pump setup can offer that last nicety, not without jumping through some hoops.

The IC can be controlled from the automation controller (ET), both scheduling and output amount. This is true with or without the IpH. But the Iph is not controlled by the ET, unfortunately, and is its primary flaw. It has its own controller, and so adjustments to it must be made at the pad. This isn't a major inconvenience, just a bummer. I suspect this is Pentair's way of getting us to upgrade to the IntelliChem system. No thanks.

The Iph is about 14" in diameter, with it's pump sticking out beyond that. It can be bolted to the pad. It has a convenient acid-adding setup. You up-end a sealed acid jug (cap off, seal intact) and push it down into the hopper. A little spike breaks the seal and the acid pours into the hopper without you needing to stand there and pour it in. Which is very cool. But the manual recommends diluting acid with water 1:1, and doesn't explain how to do that safely. You're not supposed to dump water into acid, so you probably shouldn't pour water into the hopper if it's not empty. So do you premix the diluted acid then pour it into the hopper? Which would negate the cool pouring-in feature. Or do you use the less cost-effective pre-diluted acid from Home Depot? I'm still working that out for myself. I've been using full strength 31% acid, with no issues. I suppose that will wear something out sooner than later. I'll eventually figure out what to do about the dilution.

Speaking of which, the IpH requires annual maintenance: replacing some number of parts, once or twice a year. I've yet to do that, so I can't speak to what is involved. My cursory research on that is that it's pretty simple and not too expensive. Point is, it's not set-it-forget-it. You have to add acid, and do some maintenance. And keep an eye on (test) your pH regularly. Doesn't compare to testing pH and adding acid every day or two, though, that's for sure. It's set me free from daily pool care. How many days at a time I can neglect my pool is TBD, but even every other day is a blessing!

After running it for a few months, I'm still highly recommending this duo. I believe it is a better overall solution than Pentair's IntelliChem system, but I've never used the latter, so that's just a hunch. The IntelliChem is more complicated, and relies on ORP and probes to determine how much of each chemical to add. I've read ORP doesn't work all that well, and computers reading probes to dispense chemicals into my pool doesn't sit well with me. Not that an IpH is immune to failure. But it's a simpler system so easier for my simple mind to accept!

What else can I answer for you?

All that said, there is a large contingent here that make use of Stenner pumps to inject acid. I didn't research that, at all. But many here have. You can do a search for the many threads, or wait for someone else to come along and comment and compare.

Well, as a matter of fact I do!

All Pentair here, including their IntellipH. It's an acid injection system, that is working very well for me. It requires a Pentair IntelliChlor to function, so it isn't stand alone. Since getting both online, I haven't had to manually dose my pool for months. So far, I've only adjusted either gizmo in very small amounts, they've found their equilibrium, so to speak. I've gone five days without testing (mini-vacation) and came back to perfect levels, so I could have gone longer.

The IpH and IC "talk" to each other. The IpH uses the IC's transformer. The IpH makes use of the ICs flow and temperature sensors (so it won't inject when the pump is off or water too cold). And the IpH shuts off the IC when it is dispensing acid, presumably to avoid acid and chlorine from mixing together in the plumbing. I don't believe a Stenner pump setup can offer that last nicety, not without jumping through some hoops.

The IC can be controlled from the automation controller (ET), both scheduling and output amount. This is true with or without the IpH. But the Iph is not controlled by the ET, unfortunately, and is its primary flaw. It has its own controller, and so adjustments to it must be made at the pad. This isn't a major inconvenience, just a bummer. I suspect this is Pentair's way of getting us to upgrade to the IntelliChem system. No thanks.

The Iph is about 14" in diameter, with it's pump sticking out beyond that. It can be bolted to the pad. It has a convenient acid-adding setup. You up-end a sealed acid jug (cap off, seal intact) and push it down into the hopper. A little spike breaks the seal and the acid pours into the hopper without you needing to stand there and pour it in. Which is very cool. But the manual recommends diluting acid with water 1:1, and doesn't explain how to do that safely. You're not supposed to dump water into acid, so you probably shouldn't pour water into the hopper if it's not empty. So do you premix the diluted acid then pour it into the hopper? Which would negate the cool pouring-in feature. Or do you use the less cost-effective pre-diluted acid from Home Depot? I'm still working that out for myself. I've been using full strength 31% acid, with no issues. I suppose that will wear something out sooner than later. I'll eventually figure out what to do about the dilution.

Speaking of which, the IpH requires annual maintenance: replacing some number of parts, once or twice a year. I've yet to do that, so I can't speak to what is involved. My cursory research on that is that it's pretty simple and not too expensive. Point is, it's not set-it-forget-it. You have to add acid, and do some maintenance. And keep an eye on (test) your pH regularly. Doesn't compare to testing pH and adding acid every day or two, though, that's for sure. It's set me free from daily pool care. How many days at a time I can neglect my pool is TBD, but even every other day is a blessing!

After running it for a few months, I'm still highly recommending this duo. I believe it is a better overall solution than Pentair's IntelliChem system, but I've never used the latter, so that's just a hunch. The IntelliChem is more complicated, and relies on ORP and probes to determine how much of each chemical to add. I've read ORP doesn't work all that well, and computers reading probes to dispense chemicals into my pool doesn't sit well with me. Not that an IpH is immune to failure. But it's a simpler system so easier for my simple mind to accept!

What else can I answer for you?

All that said, there is a large contingent here that make use of Stenner pumps to inject acid. I didn't research that, at all. But many here have. You can do a search for the many threads, or wait for someone else to come along and comment and compare.

Thanks for for all the information. Greatly appreciated!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.