BeatTheHeat15

May 12, 2019
louisiana
Anyone have a pool with a depth of 3.5 - 5.5? (or similar) Do you play volleyball and basketball like you would be able to in a sports pool? Do you like it? Would you do it again? Anything you don’t like?

We’re just not sure about a sports pool, thinking the middle won’t get used much.
(We are not doing a diving pool, that’s already been decided.)

Unless you guys are very tall, 5.5 to 6 foot is a very weird depth because many people will not be able to stand and at the same time it's not really deep enough to be jumping into.

Our Texas pool was a 3.5x5x4 sport/play pool. It was great! 3.5 is too shallow tho. I'd go 4x5x4 for the next pool I build.

Our pool Florida we moved to recently is 3.5 to 6 deep end. This pool is not great. A lot of 3.5 that is too shallow and A lot of 6 that is too deep. Everyone ends up clustered in the middle of the pool on the slope. If we remodel this pool we'll add a foot of concrete to the deep end and make it 5 feet deep.

We did tons of cannon balls in the 5 foot deep area of our Texas pool. Kids and adults alike. The issue with 6' is you still can't dive and nobody except LeBron and Dirk can stand up there.

Reactions: BK 2 LI
We did tons of cannon balls in the 5 foot deep area of our Texas pool. Kids and adults alike. The issue with 6' is you still can't dive and nobody except LeBron and Dirk can stand up there.

Agreed no diving. (Note, I still dive, but it is a shallow dive, like a swimmer at the start of a swimming event. In high school swimmers dove off of the starting block, into 3 1/2' of water! But they dive out not down.)

Reactions: pooldv

That's so good to hear that you can jump and cannonball in the 5 ft area b/c my kids will jump!
Good Point PoolDV about the 6 ft. Do you think it's the same with 5.5' too?

My other option is the sports pool at 3.5-5-4. But we are doing a grecian pool with tanning ledges on each end so the middle 'swim area' is only 26ft wide and I'm worried about the slope. I definitely want one side at 3.5 for kids and volleyball play of shorter folks. But I would do the other side at 4ft. Thoughts?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Get a tape measure and hold it up next to everyone to see where 3.5 and 4 and 5 lands on everyone. 3.5 is surprisingly shallow when you're in it.
Funny you say that. We actually brought a tape measure into my dad’s pool and measured ourselves so we could see what 3.5, 4, and 5 felt like...LOL We have steps in our design so I’m starting at 3.5 but can tell him to slope it right away.

Ours is 3.5 on one end (tanning ledge/stairs), 5.0 in the middle and 4.0 on the other end (sitting ledge end) and it's *almost* perfect for our needs. I think the 3.5 is a little shallow (I am 6'2") but I can still swim laps through it. We don't do many sports and ours is a floating/drinking/social type pool with few kiddos using it. I attached a couple of pics to give you an idea.

I will also add that the slopes are gradual and aren't that noticeable. We had a get together a couple of weekends ago and with about 10-15 people in the pool, it was just like being at a bar...there were small groups congregated in all areas.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 94
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    347.9 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
Ours is 3.5 on one end (tanning ledge/stairs), 5.0 in the middle and 4.0 on the other end (sitting ledge end) and it's *almost* perfect for our needs. I think the 3.5 is a little shallow (I am 6'2") but I can still swim laps through it. We don't do many sports and ours is a floating/drinking/social type pool with few kiddos using it. I attached a couple of pics to give you an idea.

Very pretty!!!! Thanks for sharing pics!! It’s good to hear that even at 6’2”, you like the same depths as us shorter folks...lol. Your pool looks longer than mine will be.

Mine will be 35’ wide but after you take away the ledges on each side, it’s 26’ of floor space to do the sports pool slope. So 13’ feet to go 1.5ft in slope on one side. Does that seem too steep?
Can't really say to be honest but the math tells me that it wouldn't be steep at all.

Edit: This *might* be of some assistance.

Do you like having shallow to deep or do you think you’d like the sports pool with 2 shallow ends?

I mostly swim laps. So it is perfect for me at 35 x14.5, with the shallow to deep end. I think two shallow ends are fine for volleyball, we don't play that much. (We are a family of 3.) My only concern with two shallow ends is kids trying to get to one from the other. WHere with the deep end they know to just stay at the one end.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.