Austin, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60
So we are getting close to getting the plaster in, few more things need to be done before that happens but it's soon. My original plan now that coping is installed is to get poured concrete for decking around the pool. But now that I'm thinking about it I'm like, wait, why go boring concrete. I can really do anything, so I turn to you all to see what ideas you may have up your sleave.

What I'm thinking is, do I go grass up to the coping, or maybe some type of rock, or maybe do I go treated wood, or maybe pavers with rock between them or am I being stupid and should just stick with concrete and call it good?

Side note, I'm going SWG, so grass is a bit iffy on my list, so is any soft stone type product. Atleast I worry about that stuff. Here is a picture of the place, give you all some idea, excuse the mess... So embarrased.
20210616_201222827_iOS (Large).jpeg

I would go bare concrete. Mine has Sundeck and chips and has to be redone every so many years.
Only issue is bare concrete can get hot if in direct sun
I heard you can paint bare concrete with something to keep it cool. Not sure what that is will have to go google now.

I heard you can paint bare concrete with something to keep it cool. Not sure what that is will have to go google now.
I have sundeck and it helps but don’t think any of it holds up long term. And when you redo it correctly they have to grind it back down to bare concrete.
If it gets hot you need something if not maybe go bare :)

All I can say is, if you have a choice, DO NOT do grass anywhere near the pool. I dealt with it for years and its a giant PIA.
It is more money and more time but if this is on the table I would do pavers. I think concrete would probably be the easiest but if anything heaves or cracks its easier to just lift a paver and add/level sand. Larger blocks work nicely. Fill any gaps where the fencing or building are with river stones. I just installed pool decking this spring and did pavers, it came out very nice.

Salt finish concrete is a very nice looking alternative to brushed concrete if that's not your cup of tea. Travertine is generally considered to be the coolest of decking surfaces. You can walk on it in any time with bare feet.

We have a painted/stained concrete. The stain is mostly gone and the bare concrete remains. It doesn't look the best but I'm not getting into that maintenance cycle of re-staining routinely. Maybe once before we would sell because it did look awesome when new.

Another option is brushed concrete with artistically drawn brush lines for accents like what @PoolGate has. That looks nice and is a modest up-charge, though you have to find someone who it won't be their first attempt.

I second, third and fourth not putting grass up to coping. A manmade turf is another option. When done professionally, it can be very nice. And it isn't that hot when proper cooling infill is used (the stuff that goes in after installation to keep the blades upright.). You wet it routinely and it stays damp and evaporation keeps it cool.

Thanks everyone, we have decided to steer clear of grass, did some renderings with brick and pavers and just feeling it. We are not looking at wood. Definitely hard wood or some composite that isn't Trex. I found a few labeled for pool use, there are fully sealed, mixture of bamboo and pastic. Also looking at a hardwood solution for the decking. Will post picks when done with whatever we land up with :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.