Pool Decking Material

Reed Kadavy

Silver Supporter
Nov 22, 2015
Gilbert AZ
For pool decking for a new salt water pool, we have been leaning towards travertine even with various warnings about the effects salt can have. The builder is suggesting we look at porcelain pavers which is a relatively new product for them. Has anyone had any experience with these pavers? I did review a very interesting YouTube video dealing with the surface temperature of various pool decking. With concrete being the coolest, the main factor to consider was the color of the surface. Lighter colors were cooler regardless of composition in many cases by 10 to 15 degrees. Something I could appreciate in Arizona.

We have regular concrete pavers, fairly light colored. They do get warm. We just get in the pool.

Travertine is great stuff but will over time, corrode with intrusion of Salt into the stone. I have a SW pool and the only reason I dont have travertine is the many extra thousand it would have cost. But oh well.. Anyways..The easy fix forany stone corrosion is to seal it. No salt, no corrosion. Sealer will have to be reapplied every few years, but its a pretty easy DIY.

Travertine is great stuff but will over time, corrode with intrusion of Salt into the stone. I have a SW pool and the only reason I dont have travertine is the many extra thousand it would have cost. But oh well.. Anyways..The easy fix forany stone corrosion is to seal it. No salt, no corrosion. Sealer will have to be reapplied every few years, but its a pretty easy DIY.
I was kind of wondering about travertine being such a popular choice for pool decks and coping. I have it in my master bath and it's not exactly the most non-reactive or forgiving or (as mentioned above, inexpensive) of natural stone materials. It does look great, though.

We have ivory travertine. It is nice and cool to the touch. I'm disappointed as to how slippery it is, however, and am trying to figure out some solution. I tried this "Stone Grip" stuff on a few tiles that is supposed to etch/corrode the surface to give it more grip, with equivocal results. And no, it is not the "honed and polished" version.

We have ivory travertine. It is nice and cool to the touch. I'm disappointed as to how slippery it is, however, and am trying to figure out some solution. I tried this "Stone Grip" stuff on a few tiles that is supposed to etch/corrode the surface to give it more grip, with equivocal results. And no, it is not the "honed and polished" version.
Mupp how did the stone grip work out for you?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.