Pool Deck Restore?

Apr 28, 2017
Melbourne, FL
I am considering restoring our current pool deck. It is a concrete deck that is painted. I'm considering re-painting, however, just saw a product made by Behr called Granite Grip. Can't seem to find many independent reviews on this product. I also see a product by Olympic called Rescue It. Then there was a product by Sherwin Williams called H&C Acryla Deck. I am looking for some advise on which method and product to go with. Should I just re-paint with concrete paint? Should I use a concrete stain? Should I use this Granite Grip or the H&C product? Is one method better than the other? I know that the coverage is a lot more with the paint than say the Granite Grip. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have not had experience with any of these coatings, but it sounds like the H&C Acryla Deck is a good choice if you want a surface that feels cooler than plain concrete, is resistant to chemicals and non-slip. Whether or not painting would be a better choice is a matter of taste, and cost would be another factor to investigate. Is the current paint peeling?

I applied the Granite Grip to my patio in the backyard (not the pool deck) and was planning to do the pool deck later.......heck no haha! It actually looks good and is very stain and wear resistant (puts up with my 80lb Pit Bull who likes to take off like he is on the starting line of an 100 yard dash), but it was a PITA to apply. Maybe I'm just used to the ease of applying paint or stain, but with GG you need to use an adhesive roller, which I hate, and I had to do 4 coats to get a uniform color. Even though in the directions it warns you that the 1st coat is just light covering, the 1st and 2nd coats looked horrible and made me question if I even wanted to apply a 3rd. Like I said earlier after 4 coats it looks good and has a nice textured feel to it, but it was the application that was annoying for me.

I have not had experience with any of these coatings, but it sounds like the H&C Acryla Deck is a good choice if you want a surface that feels cooler than plain concrete, is resistant to chemicals and non-slip. Whether or not painting would be a better choice is a matter of taste, and cost would be another factor to investigate. Is the current paint peeling?

No, it's not peeling just faded. The cost of paint compared to one of those acrylic coatings is about 1/2 the cost.

I am considering restoring our current pool deck. It is a concrete deck that is painted. I'm considering re-painting, however, just saw a product made by Behr called Granite Grip. Can't seem to find many independent reviews on this product. I also see a product by Olympic called Rescue It. Then there was a product by Sherwin Williams called H&C Acryla Deck. I am looking for some advise on which method and product to go with. Should I just re-paint with concrete paint? Should I use a concrete stain? Should I use this Granite Grip or the H&C product? Is one method better than the other? I know that the coverage is a lot more with the paint than say the Granite Grip. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Does anyone have any more input????? (edit by Jim R.)

Bravo,

As I am sure you are aware, this is a site who's members are mostly pool owners. You asked a pretty specific question about painting or coating a deck.

I would venture a guess that this is something that 99% of our members have not done, which of course will limit your feedback.

I can only assume that no one knows the answer you are looking for or you would have gotten more responses.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.