Pool deck + ants

Jun 26, 2011
10 x40 Vinyl liner pool, cement pavers set in sand bed. Lots of ants. Ants at pool edge drag up sand which ends up in pool lowering level of deck! For 13 years. Have tried killing ants without success. I am looking for a solution to solidify the sand so that the ants will be incapable of nesting in the sand. Any suggestions? Please!

Nothing besides concrete / grout that I know of will stop them... there are products that will kill them but it can be a little hardcore...

post a picture so we can see what you have and maybe we can come up with something that will work.. :)

Try Suspend. Spray all around the pool and around the perimeter of the decking. It kills on contact and leaves a residual barrier.

Back. Distracted by too much work and not enough time.
I think I was looking for something more magical. I tried to imagine a thin slurry of cement poured under some of the pavers that would then solidify. But that would leave the deck uneven.
I was told that the real solution is to lift up the pavers, put down RCA, Recycled Concrete Aggregate. Supposedly this stuff compresses such that it is inhospitable to critters. But that represents a cost that is presently not feasible. Have to win the lottery.
I think trying to relocate (euphemism) the ants is the solution for now.
Thanks for the suggestions.

I fought the ants for years eating my sand base. I pulled up about 1/3 of the perimeter that was really bad and releveled them. It took the ants 2 months to undo my hard labor. A season later they ran out of sand all around, the entire patio was 3/4 on an inch lower and *poof*. No more ants.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
10 x40 Vinyl liner pool, cement pavers set in sand bed. Lots of ants. Ants at pool edge drag up sand which ends up in pool lowering level of deck! For 13 years. Have tried killing ants without success. I am looking for a solution to solidify the sand so that the ants will be incapable of nesting in the sand. Any suggestions? Please!
this won't solidify anything but is non-toxic - spread some DE (insecticidal, not pool filter) dust around and sweep into cracks. non toxic but it is not good to inhale, so use a mask if you are generating a lot of it in the air. need to reapply after rain or wet, but it will eventually make them move away and it is pretty cheap.

Reactions: charliej
this won't solidify anything but is non-toxic - spread some DE (insecticidal, not pool filter) dust around and sweep into cracks. non toxic but it is not good to inhale, so use a mask if you are generating a lot of it in the air. need to reapply after rain or wet, but it will eventually make them move away and it is pretty cheap.
i was just about to post DE also. great for so many things.

Reactions: newdude
Would using polymeric sand in the joints help? I have a concrete pool deck, never knew ants could tear up pavers like this. I have a brick walkway, and have never had issues like this with it.

Reactions: FNG
Try boric acid if you can find it, or just borax. One part borax, 3 parts sugar, water to make syrupy mix. Put it in a jar in the refrigerator. Use the to fill some bottle caps and put it where they’ll find it, but not the kids or pets. The ants take this stuff back to the nest, it kills the queen, and the rest of the colony in a day or two.

Reactions: Decoy205
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.