Panama City, Florida
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-9)
Well.... This morning I learned we can't afford to heat the pool to 90 and swim every day :oops::snorkle:. I need advice on a solar cover and reel. We do like to swim just about every day and sometimes twice a day so we need something that will be easy to roll out and retract. Thanks for any input and advice you can give me!

Thanks! Some of them are pretty pricy. Do we need a reel? Is a thin, light one easy to put on and take off?

Dunno how strong you are. I suggest you try a light cover without a reel and decide for yourself.

Reactions: elominac
Rolling up a full size solar cover is a bit challenging depending on how much deck space you have. If you have a helper, it's manageable, but still challenging. It's easiest to roll or fold it up when it's on the deck. Many of us cut our covers into smaller sections. I use a 20' x 40' cover that I cut in half, lengthwise. I'm able to pull it up onto the deck, fold it lengthwise, then fold/roll it up. My pool's configuration makes it nearly impossible to use a reel.

Using a reel is really my preferred method. If you have the means to make it reel work, it will make things much easier.

I just ordered a Sun2Solar 8mil 16X32 that I'll trim to 14X32. Hopefully together, my husband and I will be able to handle it. What do you think of making a pole to roll it onto out of a PVC pipe covered with pool noodles?

What is the shape of your pool?
I had a kidney shaped pool and although the reel helped a lot, it was still a PITA. The middle of the kidney was a "choke point" that would catch the cover. 2 people made it easier, as someone could babysit that edge.

A square or rectangle makes the process so much easier, in my opinion.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.