Pool cover pump too strong?

Jun 5, 2016
Matawan nj
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Is it possible for a sump pump to be too strong for my pool cover causing it to suck pool water through the cover and out? I use a tarp style cover for my inground pool and the pump i used last year died so i tried using a sump pump i already had that was 1/3 HP- 9.0 AMPS. After a while i noticed the level of dirty water on top wasn't going down and the pool water level was lowering significantly. I just bought a new tarp to close last season and i don't see any holes (which is what happened last time) so i'm wondering if the stronger pump could be the issue.
Thank you

Yes it could depending on how porous the tarp is.

I think the problem is the material your tarp is made of and not your pump.

Yes it could depending on how porous the tarp is.

I think the problem is the material your tarp is made of and not your pump.
Well that would stink b/c i just got this cover at the end of last season after something chewed holes in my last cover So for the 2nd consecutive year i had to dump all of the dirty water from top of the pool cover into the water and then clean all that Crud out of the pool. Last year I had to buy a new vacuum as well b/c my old vac wasn't powerful enough. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Thank you

Can you park the pump on a step so the water goes down only to that level? Might not suck anymore out of the pool this way and if you are out there when it stops sucking you might be able to roll it off without dumping gunk into the pool. Roll the cover back starting at the opposite end from the pump and it will suck up the last little bit off the top.

Can you park the pump on a step so the water goes down only to that level? Might not suck anymore out of the pool this way and if you are out there when it stops sucking you might be able to roll it off without dumping gunk into the pool. Roll the cover back starting at the opposite end from the pump and it will suck up the last little bit off the top.
That might be something to try next season if it happens again. Thank you

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.