Pool Cover Pump and Ice

Yarzy

Bronze Supporter
Jul 16, 2020
Chalfont, PA
Hi Everyone, I have a question about my pool cover pump and ice. We live in PA where we can go from 60 to 20 in hours, especially if a cold front comes in. I am having an issue where my pump is locked into a block of ice on top of the pool cover. I have the Little Giant pump where I think it needs 2 inches of water to turn on so there is a good chance ice can form before it can pump it out. Once that ice forms and either snow melts or rain comes, it just builds up around the ice block. Is there anything I can do to prevent this besides putting taking it off the cover and back on, etc. or am I just overthinking it and just let it thaw in due time? I just don’t want to run into problems down the road as this is my first pool. Thanks so much!

I remove my cover pumps before any big freezes or snowstorms and put them back out after a big thaw.

If you let the pump get buried in snow it will effect the life of the pump with the pump eventually tripping the GFCI.

With your pump locked into the ice all you can do now is unplug it so it doesn’t run dry.

Lessons learned the hard way after replacing a few pumps over the years.

Reactions: Mdragger88
If u can’t get it out in advance be sure to unplug it - the discharge hose usually freezes 1st so the pump will run with no where for the water to go & it can burn the pump up.

Ok, I think my pump has some sort of freeze protection in it but even still, that is good advice. I guess I was hoping I was overthinking it and to just leave it be...I guess I need to do the pump cover on/off dance

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.