Pool cover is off... next steps???

Turn the two red handled valves so the handles are vertical.

Take the lid off the pump strainer basket and check to see if there are any parts in there. Remove any parts or debris that is in the strainer basket, and fill with water manually. If the water all leaks out on the floor, there is a drain plug somewhere that needs to be installed on the pump. Replace the lid on the pump strainer basket.

Remove the jug from the skimmer(s). Check to see if the skimmers have plugs installed underneath the jug and remove the first plug you find. If there is more than one plug, get a picture so we can look at it. Install the skimmer basket.

Turn the multi-port valve, on top of the filter, to the filter position. Check to see if there is a gauge or sight glass that needs to be installed on the multi-port valve.

Locate the appropriate circuit breaker and power switch, there may not be a power switch, but there must be a circuit breaker. Don't turn anything on yet, just be sure you know where they are.

Try to find where the return goes into the pool and feel around inside the pool to see if the return is plugged (it should be). Remove the plug from the return line. There should be some kind of return fitting that gets screwed on where the plug used to be.

Then report back on your progress and we can try some further steps.

Alright, most of this went fine.

1) We were able to find the return line in the pool and remove the plug, but we weren't able to find anything anywhere that resembled a fitting that could go on to replace the plug. Is this something we need to purchase?

2) We didn't turn the two red handled valves to the vertical position yet, because when my husband talked to the guy at the pool store he said to slowly turn one valve while we run the pump, occasionally filling the reservoir with water, to make sure all of the air is out of that pipe. Then open the next red valve and do the same. Is this what we should do? Or should we open them both at once?

We were able to figure out everything else without a problem. All ready for our next set of directions!

Thanks again for your help!

If your skimmer just has one hole there's not a fitting that goes back in it.

Unless someone corrects me, You want to open at least one of the valves all the way. You never want to starve a pumps suction. I'd recommend following Jason's suggestions to the tee.

Yeah, I don't like their idea....
you found the return in the wall, and removed the plug? Sometimes on older pools there is no "eyeball" return that can be adjusted, it's just a hole. That could be the case with your pool. Or are you referring to the opening inside the skimmer bottom?

I was referring to the plug I took out of the wall and it is an old pool!

Is it alright for me to now go ahead and turn those red handled valves to the vertical position even though I've done everything else? I don't want to mess anything up by doing it in the wrong order.

Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you have followed all the steps above...
and filled the pump basket with water, and all plugs are removed and valves are open, skimmer and pump baskets are in place, you are ready to turn on the pump and see if everything is functioning as it should. It may take a minute or two for the water to flow thru the system.

Not everyone uses the kreepy thingys. Once the pool is cleared up you can test it out to see if it even works.

Some filters have an air bleed valve at the top. Do you see anything like that that unscrews or will allow the air to release from the filter?

It may take a minute or two.... I'm not entirely sure with an inground pool. Hopefully someone who knows for certain will post shortly.

Yeah! Ok, no, the water needs to circulate for several hours for the testing to be accurate. You can scoop gunk if you want something to do... LOL

Keep an eye on the PSI at start up. As it climbs 6-8 PSI you'll want to backwash.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.