Pool cover anchor help

As best as I can tell, they drilled a hole in the bottom of the anchor and then use a bolt/screw to connect it to a coupling nut and then a piece of threaded rod to make the extension.

Seems like a lot of work when they make the correct part.

I would estimate the thread as 3/8” - 16.

Looks like a hack job. Whoever installed it used some kind of threaded screw anchor, possibly for a self-drilling application into concrete, and then just hacked the anchor bolt on top of the hexagonal screw shaft.

Probably best to just replace them with real cover anchors but that will require drilling the proper anchor holes as mentioned above.

As you can see from the corrosion of those screws, those shafts were NOT meant to be buried in moist soil. They are corroding away and would eventually fail. The aluminum tubes used by LOOP LOC will not corrode so easily.

When you guys say drilling.. it's just into dirt, the holes between the pavers already fit the right size (top of the hack jobs are normal anchors). My experience with getting something into dirt (like my garden fence stakes) is hammering not drilling

As you can see, the brass fits into the pipe.

The holes for the brass are 3/4" and the holes for the pipe are 15/16" or 1" depending on the pipe.

The hole diameter will need to be increased to the pipe diameter.

1663525047941.png

Looks like you have some extra room, so you might not have to drill a bigger hole if the pipes will fit.

I suspect that you will have to drill some holes bigger, but it is difficult to tell for sure.

1663525394233.png

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Looks like you have some extra room, so you might not have to drill a bigger hole if the pipes will fit.

I suspect that you will have to drill some holes bigger, but it is difficult to tell for sure.

View attachment 453844
Gotcha! Yes my husband says all the holes in the pavers won't need to be drilled larger based on the new anchors but we will have to deal with needing a larger and longer hole in the dirt below the paver. We are at least going to replace the non working ones ASAP and I think plan to replace the rest next season before they fail more. Always something to do for the pool!

Reactions: JamesW
Once you get everything fixed, you'll want to protect the anchors from corroding as much as possible. You can read this thread on how a TFP user fixed and protected his anchors using end caps -

There are many styles of end caps and or plugs that can be used. It would be best to apply a high quality machine grease to the Loop-Loc connectors when the cover is not being used (during the swim season) and to seal up the brass anchors as much as possible. Brass is fine with outdoor exposure and will only darken with a passivating layer that prevents further corrosion. But you want to keep as much junk and dirt out of the anchors as possible. The flexible caps and covers might be an eyesore so you'll have to search Amazon and see if you can find something cheap that will work. Just putting the brass screw back into the anchor and leaving it to sit all swim season is asking for it to get locked up by dirt and debris. Protecting it will help it last a lot longer.

Once you get everything fixed, you'll want to protect the anchors from corroding as much as possible. You can read this thread on how a TFP user fixed and protected his anchors using end caps -

There are many styles of end caps and or plugs that can be used. It would be best to apply a high quality machine grease to the Loop-Loc connectors when the cover is not being used (during the swim season) and to seal up the brass anchors as much as possible. Brass is fine with outdoor exposure and will only darken with a passivating layer that prevents further corrosion. But you want to keep as much junk and dirt out of the anchors as possible. The flexible caps and covers might be an eyesore so you'll have to search Amazon and see if you can find something cheap that will work. Just putting the brass screw back into the anchor and leaving it to sit all swim season is asking for it to get locked up by dirt and debris. Protecting it will help it last a lot longer.
I really appreciate this advice as wow the amount of dirt in the threads of the ones we were able to actually turn was gross. I would much rather keep up with maintenance than dealing with replacement too soon that's for sure!

Reactions: JamesW
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.