Pool Coping and Paver Upgrade without removing concrete deck

May 17, 2016
Mendon MA
Hi all, I have a 18 x 36 inground pool in Massachusetts that was installed in the 80s. Over the decades the deck hasn't moved but it does has a few small cracks, nothing substantial. The coping is in worse shape (cracking) but still robust.

The liner needs to be replaced in the spring and I am thinking of pulling out the coping and replacing the liner track with a cantilever track and then using coping pavers around the pool. I would like to lay porcelain pavers on top of the concrete deck with a sand base. This way I can fix any issues that arise in the future without having to remove mortared pavers. The issue I have here in the height difference between the coping and pavers.... I have done hours of research to find a "thicker" coping paver and have not had any luck. I have also seen numerous threads on this topic but no one has posted if they had a system that was successful..

Any guidance out there from the pros? I would hate to have to remove 2k sqft of concrete to replace it with another concrete base an inch or so lower. Any chance a poured concrete coping could be 4 inches thick to make up the difference? Any other ideas are also welcome!

Attachments

• pool.jpg
    pool.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 121
@jimmythegreek any thoughts on the buildup this guy want to do with coping pavers and matching it to the existing deck level with porcelain pavers over it?

They make renovation pavers and coping for just this purpose. You simply cut off the overhang amd install over the top of everything they are thin pavers amd the coping is an L shape and hangs over the front to hide the cut. To do thicker coping you would have to make custom forms I've never seen thicker than 3" foam forms.

Thanks for the replies. I am not following you when say cut off the overhang, are you referring to the aluminum coping filled with concrete? Does this mean I do not have to replace the liner track?

I have seen the remodeling coping, I didnt think it was able to go over the bull nose rounded aluminum track.

Last edited:
Get a sample piece and see where it lays on existing coping. You can cut off the curved front with grind wheel on metal amd diamond wheel up top to have room to set coping flush amd leave the track for the liner in tact. Takes skill but can amd has been done

I am following you now! Basically I need to square up the current coping and then mortar on the remodeling coping. Can this cutting wheel work be completed with the liner in the pool or would you suggest doing so prior to changing the liner?

Can be done with liner intact. You use a piece of ridgid 1" insulation floating in pool as protection, can duct tape to pool so stays or have a helper hold it. Get samples and test first you need to be ankento access the track lip for liner swaps in the future. Need a sample to know for sure what works

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.