Pool Construction 911

danzgator

Bronze Supporter
Apr 8, 2019
Largo, FL
Pool builder put fiberglass shell in 1" too low. We were planning for a concrete deck with formed concrete coping at pool edge with 1/4" per foot slope away from pool. With the existing pool height we'd have 0 slope. He's saying we have to drain the full/balanced pool, jack it up 1" and re-do everything. The foam forms stick to the fiberglass and give you a fixed height. You can't glue to air, so that probably can't be resolved. I think we either need a 5" thick precast coping or some coping form work that forms a 5" bullnose. I don't think either is something that is readily available. Have booked flights for people coming into town this weekend for Easter. Ideas? Here is the form that we ordered:

Have them build flexible forms and span them across the pool to keep them tight like a spiderweb. Use a flat 1" and then attach your forms to that and make the bullnose up from there.

The other thing you can do is use regular coping stones as in pavers or off the shelf stuff and mud them high. Then small tile band to hide the gap or some type of material to hide gap.

Worst thing you can do is rush this because you wanna entertain guests for Easter. You will live with it for all the other holidays and guests if your not happy

Pool builder put fiberglass shell in 1" too low. We were planning for a concrete deck with formed concrete coping at pool edge with 1/4" per foot slope away from pool. With the existing pool height we'd have 0 slope.

Not that this will help with how to form this but your math seems incorrect. First of all 1/4" per foot is a very aggressive pitch and not necessary. With that slope you would pitch 1.5" . For 6' I believe all you need is 5/8" .

What method are you using to determine your elevations?

I didn't survey it myself, but I told the pool builder I wanted 1/4" per foot. He said with the current elevation and the foam coping forms the pitch would be 0" per foot. It's 1.5" lower than it should be, but I'm not sure that the 1.5" gets you to 1/4" per foot.

Have them build flexible forms and span them across the pool to keep them tight like a spiderweb. Use a flat 1" and then attach your forms to that and make the bullnose up from there.

The other thing you can do is use regular coping stones as in pavers or off the shelf stuff and mud them high. Then small tile band to hide the gap or some type of material to hide gap.

Worst thing you can do is rush this because you wanna entertain guests for Easter. You will live with it for all the other holidays and guests if your not happy
I can't envision the spider web, but on the coping, something like this? I like this idea much better than jacking up a plumbed and filled pool. I'm running it by the pool guy now. They just showed up to start draining/digging/jacking.

Yes just like that. It looks good when done I've seen people use bling to make the tile pop but I prefer to match the paver shade colors to make it blend. The spider webbing is boards across the pool to keep forms pushing against themselves to other way to support them otherwise. I wouldnt Jack the pool no matter what it will never be right again

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
They agreed that it was constructible that way, and would construct it that way if that's what I wanted to do, but said that it would take longer and be more expensive. They committed to jack the pool, backfill, and form/reinforce the pool collar/screen enclosure footer by the end of the day today, ready for inspection tomorrow morning and guaranteed they would not damage plumbing. It doesn't seem possible to me that 2 guys can get all that done in a day, but we'll see. I deferred to them on their means and methods on how to fix the issue because if I direct them to do something other than they want to do, surely anything that goes wrong will be my fault. I sent them a letter saying that if the plumbing leaks, they are repairing it even if they have to chip out the deck. Thanks for all the help. Fingers crossed!

The plumbing leaks are the least of your problems. Without a crane to reset the pool I wouldnt have let them touch it. Theres no possible way to backfill under the pool without lifting it out. Voids under fiberglass are the worst thing imaginable. Only the use of flowable fill out of a cement truck would work in this case. I hope it turns out OK for you

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.