Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-20
So...I am getting frustrated.

Have been following TFP the last 2-3 years, and have learned a lot from this. But I am stumped at the moment.

I opened my pool 4 weeks ago. After opening and to be safe, I SLAM the pool. After 1 day...no CC and passed OCLT. Water was also clear.

Fast forward to 4 weeks later. Because of the cooler weather, we have only swam in the poo 5-6 times. Short swims only. And maybe had 6-8 kids once or twice. I have been testing 2-3 days and feel that my levels have been the best they could be. PH was always in the 7.6-7.8 range...TA started low when opening and bumped to 70 and have been steady since. CYA was low and bumped to 60-70 and have also stayed steady. Same with CH...steady.

FC fluctuates from 4.5 to 11...but if I average them out, it is in the 8.0 range. Pump runs 24/7 with higher RPM overnight, and lower RPM during the day. I also use a skimmer sock. I have only vacuumed using a robot (walls and floors) and havent vacummed manually at all this year.

Here lies the problem...last week after a 2 hour swim, pool was slightly cloudy. 2 days ago...same result, slightly cloudy after the swim. When I say slightly cloudy...I am sure other's will not notice...but since I am particular about the water clarity, I find it cloudy.

I did the OCLT just to check and sure enough I failed, as I expected. What gives? How do I go from passing to failing in 4 weeks after not swimming too much at all. It has also been cool in the last few weeks.

Any thoughts or idea?

You can’t average the fc like that, if you have fallen below minimum for your cya at anytime then algae begins to proliferate.
it is possible that this occurred & you just didn’t catch it. At any rate, its
SLAM Process time now. Be sure to check all the nooks & crannies where algae may hide - light niches, skimmers, steps/ladders, drains etc.

+3

I have been testing 2-3 days

FC fluctuates from 4.5 to 11...
If you are testing 4.5 on day 3 with a SWG, it could have been zero for 2 of those days. You just don't know. It totally happens, but it's no surprise when it does.

We all get bored by the SWG doing its thing and get lax with testing. The key is to ensure the FC was high enough that if the cell shuts off for a day, be it a power outage, a low salt reading, or any other hiccup, that you had enough FC to cover it.

I discovered a common problem by accident this year. I run 24/7 and it never mattered but in hindsight, it matters alot for anyone on a schedule. I drained too much being a knucklehead, but we had a big storm coming so I shut the pool off and let Mother Nature fix my screw up. When I turned the pool back on later, the rain water which hadn't been mixed threw the low salt alarm and the cell would have stayed off until the next self test 12 hours later, had I not caught it.

Anyone who runs a schedule could easily have that problem several times a season. If they were running a 5 FC, they could lose 4 that day with the cell thinking it had low salt. Then boom. Swampville.

+3

If you are testing 4.5 on day 3 with a SWG, it could have been zero for 2 of those days. You just don't know. It totally happens, but it's no surprise when it does.

We all get bored by the SWG doing its thing and get lax with testing. The key is to ensure the FC was high enough that if the cell shuts off for a day, be it a power outage, a low salt reading, or any other hiccup, that you had enough FC to cover it.

I discovered a common problem by accident this year. I run 24/7 and it never mattered but in hindsight, it matters alot for anyone on a schedule. I drained too much being a knucklehead, but we had a big storm coming so I shut the pool off and let Mother Nature fix my screw up. When I turned the pool back on later, the rain water which hadn't been mixed threw the low salt alarm and the cell would have stayed off until the next self test 12 hours later, had I not caught it.

Anyone who runs a schedule could easily have that problem several times a season. If they were running a 5 FC, they could lose 4 that day with the cell thinking it had low salt. Then boom. Swampville.
By the way…meant to add that although I tear with Taylor kit every 2-3 days, I tear with a test strip daily to ensure I have FC.

You can’t average the fc like that, if you have fallen below minimum for your cya at anytime then algae begins to proliferate.
it is possible that this occurred & you just didn’t catch it. At any rate, its
SLAM Process time now. Be sure to check all the nooks & crannies where algae may hide - light niches, skimmers, steps/ladders, drains etc.
If for the sake of argument, I miss some areas with algae…wouldn’t the OCLT fail anyways?

I test with a test strip daily to ensure I have FC.
*guess strip.

Use the OTO comparator block (yellow side). It's still not accurate, but it's better.

But good on you for checking daily. (y)

I miss some areas with algae…wouldn’t the OCLT fail anyways?
Maybe, Maybe not. If old nasty water is hiding in the ladder rails or light niche (for example), it may take too long to ooze enough out to fail the immediate OCLT, but you'll know eventually as it multiplies.

Reactions: Mdragger88

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.