Pool closing winter question

Dec 3, 2017
Surrey
How many of you guys just shut the heater off and keep the pump running during the winter season? That's what we were told to do by the previous owners, but it has me thinking....its all fine in a deep freeze with power, but if we lose power we will likely freeze lines up would we not? How long would it take to freeze the pump, lines and heater?

It depends on how cold and for how long. Hovering around 32 F could take a day or two to freeze hard enough to cause plumbing damage. 10 F could be hours. -10 F could be minutes.

How often and for how long do you get freezing temps? I don't close my pool at all, but when we are expecting freezing temps overnight we run the pump during the night. It keeps the moving water going so the pipes don't freeze. It would take longer than a day or two to freeze a pool in *my* area.

Maddie :flower:

We see maybe the odd stretch of freezing temps, usually we sit around 2-3C but we got 3 days of -6 - -10C

I am just wondering what to do in the case we lose power for part of a day, or the pipes would likely not freeze up in that time? I could put some insulation on them I suppose or put a propane space heater in the pump house?

Do you get a frozen layer on the top of the pool even when run the pump?

We see maybe the odd stretch of freezing temps, usually we sit around 2-3C but we got 3 days of -6 - -10C

I am just wondering what to do in the case we lose power for part of a day, or the pipes would likely not freeze up in that time?

Read...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.