Pool closing strategy

Hello,

The pool season is still on and I am happy with my TFP pool but I want to plan in advance. It sucks but with my location I will need to eventually close the pool for winter.
Even if we don't swim, I always close the pool by end of October or beginning of November because water stays clear longer and it saves me a lot of trouble when reopening at Spring season. That is what I experiment over the years. Maybe there is strategies that could permit to close the pool earlier and still avoid trouble but I don't know them and I am OK with the late pool closing.

My questions is what is the TFP recommended procedure for pool closing? What methodology do you recommend to follow to keep the pool as clear as possible over the winter and save time and money at spring?
What chemicals should be used to maintain the pool over the winter. I usually buy a closing kit at Costco or the pool store. Is it the recommended TFP way?

Thanks for all the advice so I can plan in advance.

Reactions: Chickinvic
Take a peek at this page:

OK. Thanks.
So chlorine to shock level and polyquat algaecide after draining. That's it? Nothing else on chemical side?

To satisfy my curiosity, do you know exactly what is found in the closing kit that are sold in stores then? Often there is like a floating device and a gallon of unidentified liquid stuff. Based on the page you linked, it is unnecessary but I am curious to know what I was paying for and the usefulness.

Based on my experience of the last 5 five years, by closing the pool at the beginning of November and opening early at spring I never had to add chlorine or anything else in the pool after closing. That was with the Costco closing kit. With the TFP recommendations, I suppose it will be the same.

The Costco kit was 1 gallon of closing liquid (no details on the content), 1 liter of algaecide (no % specified) and a floater (no details on the content). Even if mysterious, the kit worked. That is the reason I asked if any expert would know what are the stuff exactly and would be able to tell me.

This year I found TFP and followed the recommandations for maintenance and it is working really great. That is why I would like to follow TFP recommandations for closing also. According to the page, that means chlorine to shock level and poly algaecide. I already have the poly agaecide so I will use it.

It is a good question though and maybe someone who experimented with the TFP procedure or an expert could confirm, but I would say that if you close it late and open it early, it should be good and nothing should be added after closing.

I’m in NJ, and will hopefully close my AGP pool in early Oct when the water temp hits 60. I’ve used TFP methods for 3 years and have never added anything after closing, and have opened to crystal clear water in May. Not sure if that relates to GA and your warmer temps.

Do you need to add chlorine periodically thru the fall and winter, while the pool is closed? This is the first time I'll be closing an AGP too...

No, if you have a solid cover then chlorine loss will be very slow with no UV on the water.

With no cover use Polyquat 60 since it is not oxidized by UV.

Best protection is using chlorine and Polyquat 60. Read How_To_Use_Polyquat_60_in_Pool_Winterization?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.