Pool closing question about the skimmer.

Jun 4, 2012
NW CT
So I’ve had this pool for 8 years now. It’s an agp. I’m in CT so the pool will freeze a foot or 2 thick in the dead of winter. I’ve been gone for a month and now have to get it closed before winter. We already had snow and temps of 24 while I’ve been gone.
Anyway I’ve always used the plastic snap in skimmer cover and lower the water to the bottom of the skimmer for winter and had no issues. Well this spring the skimmer was leaking so I installed a new skimmer. Hayward, no idea of what model. Well I just went to put the cover over the skimmer and realized it won’t fit becasue that’s a special skimmer opening to fit the snap on cover.

I’ve called several pool stores in CT and they are all closed. Me is answering the phones. What should I do? Lower the water level more and use the old skimmer face I still have to snap the cover onto and risk a leak in the spring again or get one of the simpooltec skimmer plugs and try that? I don’t see a model that looks like it’s measurements fit this skimmer though and am reading conflicting reviews. Or just leave it open?

I’ve never left it open for the winter. I would think the water Would freeze and break the skimmer apart over the winter, no?

I use a winter cover so it gets covered with water and snow on top of that as well.

I’m looking for suggestions. Help before it gets cold and freezes.

I saw those online when I was looking but didn’t think they would really save the skimmer from cracking or breaking. It looked like something that would just plug the piping.
The water level goes up and down depending on the weight of the snow water and ice on the cover. The cover is waterproof.

Ice volume expands by 10%-15% over the water volume when it freezes. That is what causes cracking. Having the Gizzmo or cut up pool noodles gives a space for the ice to expand and crush. Stuffing the skimmer with cut up pool noodles should protect the skimmer neck.

Will you have the output pipe to the skimmer plugged?

Post pics of what you are dealing with.

That's the point of a Gizzmo. It prevents the ice from pressing outward on the skimmer, by giving the pressure a place to go (into the Gizzmo). It's not a solid core, it will compress as the ice presses on it.

You could use cut up pool noodles, but there's the chance that they will float out of the skimmer if you don't have a way to secure them.

Did you drain your plumbing? Everything from the skimmer, through pump and filter and other equipment, back to the return needs to be drained as well. And the return plugged, if you are leaving plumbing connected.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That's the point of a Gizzmo. It prevents the ice from pressing outward on the skimmer, by giving the pressure a place to go (into the Gizzmo). It's not a solid core, it will compress as the ice presses on it.

You could use cut up pool noodles, but there's the chance that they will float out of the skimmer if you don't have a way to secure them.

Did you drain your plumbing? Everything from the skimmer, through pump and filter and other equipment, back to the return needs to be drained as well. And the return plugged, if you are leaving plumbing connected.
Yes all the lines are drained and the shutoffs stay open for the winter. I disconnect the pump and take it inside for the winter. Filter gets drained with drain cover left off and the return lines are plugged at the pool wall.
As I said I’ve never had an issue in 8 years but I’ve always had the skimmer cover to block that off and I’m just concerned about that being broken and cracked from the ice.
I guess I’ll orde a gizmo and generic plug and try them both this year. Worst case I’m replacing the skimmer again in the spring and make sure I use the right faceplate this time for the cover. 🤦🏻‍♂️ Thanks for the advise.

Use long lengths of noodles and have them go to the bottom of the skimmer, up and a 90 degrees bend and out the mouth of the skimmer. Poke in as many as you can so they are tight ( not compressed to much ) and they will displace enough water so the little that may be around them will expand into the foam. Just be sure your lines are blown and capped.

the past 5 years I used a gizmo and had no issues with ice up to 18 inches thick... This year I have used bungee plugs so I could not use the gizmo so This year I am using pool noodles cut up to displace the water and let the ice move them when it freezes :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.