Pool Cleaning Robot Recommendations

Rogue Zombie

Mar 18, 2021
Dallas, Texas
Hello Everyone!

I'm brand spanking new to this pool business (the things we take on for our children). We moved in to the house in December, and all the pool equipment was replaced. The pool cleaning robot (this Polaris one) was serviced and a wheel was replaced as part of the house buying business. I have no idea how old the robot is.

The robot NEVER worked right - it would make a lap or two and then get stuck in a corner near the stairs. I've never seen it run for more than 3 - 5 minutes and not get stuck. It won't back up or do any of the other things I read about when searching on this.

Anyway, yesterday morning the wheel was off and sitting in the bottom of the pool. I've since called the company who did the last service and repair on it, but I'm not holding my breath there.

What I decided to investigate is if there is a better, and preferably more affordable robot, to use with my booster pump.

Or to see what other suggestions people have?

Thank you so much, I can provide any other info if needed.

IMG_2289.JPGIMG_2283.JPG

If you have a 110v outlet near your pool a real robot (like a dolphin) is a great option. They run independently of any other pool equipment & contain the debris in their own filter basket allowing for energy savings by not having to run or maintain a booster pump.
There are several models to choose from- many here are very happy w/ their warrior se/ active 20/ s200’s (they are all the same just different colors & sometimes different prices) as they are middle of the road as far as bells & whistles.
Here’s a comparison sheet
They only do phone orders - u can call & leave a message & they will call u back. You can describe your pool & they can help u find the one that meets your needs.

Yes, in a HEARTBEAT, remove the booster pump, and get robot (a low voltage electric pool cleaner that doesn’t use your pool filter or plumbing). That’s exactly what I did. Except I paid for the original and booster pump like you have, so I’m the one to blame for that call. Then I figured it out and ripped it out. It never covered by pool and didn’t suck up the dust-like debris well anyway. Call Marina Pool and Spa in Colorado to order by phone. They have the best pricing on the Dolphins. You can get features if you want, but the S200 cleans the same as the more feature rich ones.

Another vote for the Dolphin S200. Bought mine almost a year ago and love it. Prior to that I owned suction-side cleaners that would work OK, but nothing like the Dolphin. As stated above, other benefits include not running the dirt and leaves through your filtration system. I rarely need to empty my pump basket and/or backwash.

If you just purchased the home, did you obtain a home warranty that includes the pool equipment from the seller?
Use that to get a new cleaner. They may only want to repair or replace with existing model but sometimes you can negotiate to get a cash settlement to purchase a different brand/model.
The Polaris 280 (which is shown in the picture) can work well if it is maintained and repaired properly. Just stating this because you may be having many other expenses moving into a new home. If they can repair or replace it, it may get you another year or more. However you do have the extra expense of that booster pump running but many of us do. Just trying to give you options.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Unfortunately, our home warranty does not cover pool equipment. Service on the original pool equipment and the pool robot was done by Custom Pool Care here in the area, but I've not been happy with their weekly service, or in their inability to give me an ETA to come and fix things. Their pool service is 200$ a month, and it doesn't ever seem like the pool is very clean.

For example, they were supposed to fix the pool lights, which lasted about a week of almost no use (I only occasionally turned them on at night to check the pool).
They were paid to replace the pool filter drain covers on the bottom, they haven't done it nor have they told me when they will do it.
They serviced the pool robot and fixed one of the wheels, but I have no idea if that was the wheel that broke off.

When I watch the pool guy in the morning, he only does a single chemical test. I recently have started testing myself, and everything seems ok, except that the Alkalinity is 70 ppm instead of 80-100 ppm, but I don't (yet) have any sodium bicarbonate, and I don't know where to add it in. Anways... doesn't feel like I'm getting 200$ in value.

I always intended to learn how to do all of this myself, but there were so many other things I needed to focus on first. These problems though have caused me to re-prioritize.

So it looks like I'm going to shell out for a Dolphin robot, everyone seems to recommend it - I only wish I hadn't believed them that I needed to replace the original booster pump - because that is money that was wasted. Maybe I can sell it, it's only 3 months old. I'm also disappointed that Custom Pool Care didn't even mention to me that there was a non-booster pump solution, like these Dolphin robots.

For the record, they knew I was a complete noob about all of this, and I guess instead of being decent about it, they just saw dollar signs.

Anyway, thanks for the robot recommendations!

Many folks in your area had busted pumps due to the freeze so u very well may be able to sell it on fb marketplace & recoup some $$
A dolphin would put them out of a job so hence no suggestion. You will be in the positive after just a few months of not paying them $200.
Your ta is probably fine @ 70 - no need to chase a specific #. For future reference though you just broadcast baking soda & i like to mix it in with the fine debris net.
Fc & Ph is what u want to focus on.
PoolMath can help be sure to track csi
As well as read up on ..
ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
& the other pool school articles. You can definitely do this!

@Rogue Zombie I would definitely put your 3mo old booster pump up for sale in neighborhood website or on facebook or even here on TFP. Someone will either need it or willing to buy as a backup. You can do same for Polaris 280 as there are most likely some good parts on it. Again maybe someone on TFP may be willing to buy it for parts who lives in your area.
You will need to decide what to do with your pipes if you remove the pump. My recommendation would be to join them together as that is the easiest to do. The suction to your booster pump is connected to one of your pool returns and the output pipe after the booster pump is a dedicated line to your pool. So you are just circulating water through it to keep it clean from algae. It is a simple job that you can do or maybe convince your pool service to do before you get rid of them.

You do need to ensure you have an electrical socket nearby that is connected to a GFCI circuit. This is for your new robot.

As @Mdragger88 stated - read up on ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and you will understand why the TFP target for TA is different from the pool store TA target. No need to be concerned with TA 70 at this time. Focus on your FC and pH testing.

I notice you state in your signature that you do not know your pool volume. There are some calculations in Pool Math to help. Alternatively, post a picture of your pool and we can help guide you how to measure.
Take control and you will do great.

Reactions: Mdragger88
We purchased the Dolphin Natulus CC plus approx. 2 years ago for our inground pool and it turned out the best investment we have ever done for us and our pool:) Really. Before that I had to clean my Pool with a hand held strainer. Though you should do your own research on pool cleaner robots to find what works fine for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey. What did you do in the end? Fixed it or bought another one? I'm struggling with this right now and don't know what to do. I hired a cleaning company to clean the windows and everything (in case you're interested which one, it's this - Commercial Cleaning Services in Portland, Oregon — Cleansolution), and after that, I noticed that the robot was not working. It's a failure, I have important guests coming over in two days, and my pool is dirty. I'm thinking of buying a new one, but before that, I want to know if it's possible to fix it. If yes, please, let me know how to. Thank you in advance!

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.