Pool Cleaner Suggestions

cbaum

Mar 8, 2017
Folsom, Ca
I am new to the forum but have been trying to do as much reading as possible to learn on my own but I was hoping to get some suggestions on a new pool cleaner.

I purchased a new to me house last summer with a roughly 17x25 free form pool and the pool cleaner has seen better days so I would like to replace it with something newer and better. Its looks like a old kreepy crawly suction side pool cleaner but I have no idea on its age. I was looking at getting another suction side cleaner (Hayward Navigator and MX8 have been recommended by Leslie's) since it seems that is what my pool was built for but I am not sure that's my best option. Leslie's also said I could get a Polaris 360 but I have three returns into my pool and have heard that I might need to close off some of the returns to get the Polaris to work the best. Lastly I have been looking at robotic cleaners since they are well recommended here but I want to make sure that the best and correct decision for pool. I don't have a lot of trees around my pool so there usually isn't many leaves that need to be cleaned.

What are you recommendations for a new pool cleaner. I was hoping to stay around 700.

Thanks for your help
Craig

I have a Dolphin Nautilus and I run it literally every day from open to close. This is the beginning of season 4 and I have not seen any signs of it slowing down. (Now I've done it)

The latest trend is a top sided basket for easier access. Most people don't recommend remote control or "smart" features although I do wish I had a remote sometimes.

You could get lucky. But in my experience. They tend to break to the point of not repairing shortly after warranty ends.

My 16-year-old Dolphin Diagnostic clearly did not get that memo. Power supply has been replaced but the robot still works like the day it was born. If it didn't have the awful bottom-mount filter bag it would still be my primary cleaner.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This is a timely thread for me. My POlaris 9300 I bought 3 years ago for about 1000 has stopped working. Beginning in year one I have replaced tires a few times, wheels twice, filter cannister twice and the power cord. I have also had it in for repair the first year but no longer remember what that was for.
So yesterday it stopped working and has alternating flashing lights. Dont think it is the cord since it is less than 6 months old. tried to run it without cannister...still wont run. Plugged in correctly with no gap at connections....

Any one have any more ideas before I take it to Leslies for a good hosing? Financially...
Any suggestions on a replacement? I am not real satisfied with Polaris due to the repairs required nor the longevity if the next step is a new motor or processor...

This is a timely thread for me. My POlaris 9300 I bought 3 years ago for about 1000 has stopped working. Beginning in year one I have replaced tires a few times, wheels twice, filter cannister twice and the power cord. I have also had it in for repair the first year but no longer remember what that was for.
So yesterday it stopped working and has alternating flashing lights. Dont think it is the cord since it is less than 6 months old. tried to run it without cannister...still wont run. Plugged in correctly with no gap at connections....

Any one have any more ideas before I take it to Leslies for a good hosing? Financially...
Any suggestions on a replacement? I am not real satisfied with Polaris due to the repairs required nor the longevity if the next step is a new motor or processor...

Did you buy it with a credit card that extends the warranty?

nope. no extension...how long have you had the S300? Still like it?

This will be my second season and it's my second robot. I also have an old diagnostic with a bottom bag filter. The S300 is infinitely easier to clean and, therefore, much more usable. I've only used it for one season so far, not long enough to opine on longevity.

This will be my second season and it's my second robot. I also have an old diagnostic with a bottom bag filter. The S300 is infinitely easier to clean and, therefore, much more usable. I've only used it for one season so far, not long enough to opine on longevity.

I will need to decide soon...pretty sure the Polaris is toast and I woulnt want to spend much more money on it.

So perhaps the Discovery or S300

dont see any sales right now and no one locally to Central Texas selling it..

The OP started out looking for a suction side cleaner. Very different price point from a robot.

If you are still interested in a suction side cleaner Hayward has bought out The Pool Cleaner, that many rave about, improved version is rereleased as the Hayward Aquanaut 200 (2 wheel) or 400 (4 wheel). Cost about $400 (less $100 rebate now avail) and I added a $25 leaf cannister to avoid clogging my suction lines. So my total cost $325 with the canister.

Orginally was looking at a suction side but after finding this site was looking at robotic but want to make sure its going to last more than 2 years. Was hoping to stay under 700.

The OP started out looking for a suction side cleaner. Very different price point from a robot.

If you are still interested in a suction side cleaner Hayward has bought out The Pool Cleaner, that many rave about, improved version is rereleased as the Hayward Aquanaut 200 (2 wheel) or 400 (4 wheel). Cost about $400 (less $100 rebate now avail) and I added a $25 leaf cannister to avoid clogging my suction lines. So my total cost $325 with the canister.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.