Pool Cleaner not working

Jul 30, 2018
clearwater
I just purchased a house and it has an above ground pool. Its pretty big with a deck built around it. When i first starting cleaning it, the hayward pool cleaner thing worked fine. Now whenever i hook it up, the psi in the filter drops to 0 and nothing works. Then when i disconnect it, it takes a little bit of fiddle with things (i really have no idea what im doing, first time owner) the jets work again. I have a Clearwater 2 filter system. Any advice, help or info would be greatly appreciated.

Is the cleaner a suction cleaner where you hook it up to the suction port or skimmer?

If so, ensure that there hose or cleaner is not clogged. Also, the house could be cracked and pulling in too much air.

You're no newer than me - my install is next week. However, I have done a TON of research and I am pretty sure for an above ground pool, it is best to prime the hose before hooking it up. Otherwise you are making your pump pool all of that air through the line.

Yup, need to fill it with water.

Do you have a leaf canister in the pipe as well? Because otherwise you put in your plumbing at risk for a clog. Or you can use a skimmer plate over your skimmer basket.

An easy way to fill the hose with water is to put it up against the return while the pump is on so that it will force water through the hose.

Before plugging the hose in the skimmer, hold the plug in end against the return outflow. The cleaner will rise as all the air is purged out of the hose and cleaner and then it will sink - now you are good to go.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.