Pool cleaner needed if I have a pool screen enclosure?

Andome

Gold Supporter
Sep 10, 2020
Palm Bay, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hi all,
My wife and I are in the (much longer than anticipated) process of getting a pool, tho the dig hasnt yet started. Our pool (as currently designed) will have a dedicated suction line for a vacuum. My questions are 1) we will have a screen enclosure installed immediately after pool is done. In y'alls experience, is it necessary to spend big money on a cleaner when most debris will be kept out? 2) If that answer is yes, what is the best bang for you buck cleaner out there? Also, would I need a pressure side cleaner work better if we do in fact still need one? Thanks in advance!

You will still need a cleaner because particles will come through the screen, debris on peoples feet, etc. will still find its way into the pool. A simple robot would have been a good choice for under $700.
You mention you have a dedicated suction line - is this really a pressure operated vacuum or will it be a suction side vacuum? Just want to be sure because you state you want a pressure side cleaner. A suction side and a pressure side cleaner are 2 different animals. How will that dedicated line be hooked up - to suction or to pressure side of a pump?
If you have the option - as it sounds that you have not dug the pool yet - forgo the dedicated line and get a robot. With a screen enclosure and a robot you will have a super clean pool.

Reactions: Andome
recommend robot over suction and would never recommend a pressure side cleaner as they take another pump and the cleaner... considering the robot is just about the same cost once you buy the suction side cleaner and have it plumbed into the pool... :)

Reactions: Andome and HermanTX
It's not "necessary" to have a dedicate automated type cleaner. Your other option is to vacuum your pool by hand. But if you want something to do the cleaning for you, invest in good a robot. Pressure and suction side cleaners will cost more in electricity as you will need to run the pump(s) at high RPM to get them to properly work. Many here have contacted Marina Pools in Lakewood, CO and received great recommendations and prices -and yes, it will be covered under warranty.

Thanks for the replies! Herman, the pool is currently set up for a suction line. There’s no extra charge for it, the PB just puts them in all their pools. I’m asking the question now because if everyone says “oh ya gotta get a pressure side cleaner” then I would change it to a pressure side line. But it sounds like the general consensus is that most folks like the robots? I think I’ve definitely eliminated the idea of a pressure side cleaner, so now I guess it’s just either a robot or suction side. Maybe I will try it with a cheap suction side before I get a robot, just to see if I enjoy cleaning the pool or not. Thanks again for the replies!

Thanks for the replies! Herman, the pool is currently set up for a suction line. There’s no extra charge for it, the PB just puts them in all their pools. I’m asking the question now because if everyone says “oh ya gotta get a pressure side cleaner” then I would change it to a pressure side line. But it sounds like the general consensus is that most folks like the robots? I think I’ve definitely eliminated the idea of a pressure side cleaner, so now I guess it’s just either a robot or suction side. Maybe I will try it with a cheap suction side before I get a robot, just to see if I enjoy cleaning the pool or not. Thanks again for the replies!
Definitely would forgo the pressure side cleaner. There are good reports using suction side cleaners.
Calling @Dirk for his input on that. Given your situation with a screened in pool the suction side cleaner with its dedicated suction line could be a better set up for you because the suction hose will be into your side of your pool and not through your skimmer.

A suction-side cleaner requires a dedicated port connected to your pump, that sucks water out of the pool.
A pressure-side cleaner requires a dedicated port connected to your pump, that blows water into the pool.

It's possible to convert one to the other, by rerouting a few pipes at the equipment pad, so technically you can't really make a mistake choosing one or the other at this point.

Even if I knew I was going to have a robot (which doesn't need either type of port), I would still run a dedicated vac line from pool to pad, I just wouldn't connect it. Pools last a long time. Technology changes. Maybe the "next new thing" will need a dedicated line. Maybe you'd like to run a manual vac once in a while, for a quick cleanup. Maybe you'd like to sometimes run a fountain or similar water feature in your pool. Maybe one of your return lines will fail and need to be sealed up (that's a thing). You can't replace something like that, so the extra line could be used as a spare. This notion is unconventional, but that doesn't mean it's a bad idea. Worst case: you cap it off at the pad and plug it up at the pool and forget about it until you might someday need it. It's cheap future-proofing insurance.

OK, I've had both pressure- and suction-side cleaners. I can't recommend a PSC, for a lot of reasons I'll elaborate on if you ask. For a pool that will stay relatively clean, a SSC will serve you well. Some will argue that they require more electricity than a robot, and technically that's true, because a SSC makes use of your main filter pump. But your running your filter pump everyday anyway, for filtering and circulation. Well, while the SSC is running, cleaning your floor, it will also be filtering and circulating your water, so I consider the vac run as part of the filter run and so practically speaking they don't use significantly more electricity.

A SSC cleaner sends its gunk to your main filter. Larger items are trapped in the pump basket. I have a relatively clean outdoor pool and only clean my main filter once a year. A robot collects its gunk onboard, which means you have to haul the robot out periodically and clean its collection bag (or tray). I have to periodically clean out my pump basket, but that is a lot easier than hauling a robot out of the water. How often (for either cleaner) depends on how dirty your pool gets, and with what. In your case, you might never have to clean the pump basket, as your gunk will be smaller and pass through to the main filter. I could theoretically ignore my vacuum indefinitely. It can live in the pool and requires nothing. The same cannot be said for a robot (because of its collector). And while some leave their robots in the water all the time, I believe that contradicts the owner manual (at least for some brands/models). The robot requires electricity, which means while it's in the pool, you'll have to look at an electrical cord draped across your deck. Not so for a SSC, though it is no less ugly in the water (because of its hose). The combined cons for the robot (the cord, the weight and the cleaning of the collector) are deal breakers for me, and why I'm not interested in owning one. Those items are never mentioned by robot owners, so they must be fine with them (or don't like to admit them?).

A robot will likely clean your pool better. It brushes while vacuuming, something a SSC doesn't do. I consider that a big deal, and the only thing that could change my mind about a robot. But my real world experience is that my SSC cleans my pool just fine. Maybe for some pools that wouldn't be true, depending on what is falling into them. And a robot will brush all the way up the pool wall, including the edge tile. An SSC will vacuum the walls, but cannot come out of the water to vacuum the tile. I don't find issue with that, others do.

I like to remove the vac for guests. A SSC is waaaaay lighter and easier to handle than a robot. I've heard they're pretty heavy. I would not like to haul one out regularly. That will be more true as I get older.

The cost is a non-issue for me. As pointed out there are robots that cost only slightly more than SSCs, but robots with more advanced features can go for $2K (I think). I would not trade my $600 SSC for a $2K robot. A robot has way more complicated parts and electronics, and I would guess servicing a bot would be more expensive than servicing an SSC (which I think some of which can be done DIY). I don't have direct experience with either of those notions, just an intuition about it.

That's my take on the vac vs 'bot debate. I think I included all the major pros and cons. I think my preferred choice of cleaner puts me well into the minority on this topic, as those with robots love them and recommend them highly.

Join me, won't you, in this fight against these invading robots and their mind-controlling overlords! We are a ragtag group, but we can win this battle because we are on the side of humanity! 🤪

Last edited:
Hi all,
My wife and I are in the (much longer than anticipated) process of getting a pool, tho the dig hasnt yet started. Our pool (as currently designed) will have a dedicated suction line for a vacuum. My questions are 1) we will have a screen enclosure installed immediately after pool is done. In y'alls experience, is it necessary to spend big money on a cleaner when most debris will be kept out? 2) If that answer is yes, what is the best bang for you buck cleaner out there? Also, would I need a pressure side cleaner work better if we do in fact still need one? Thanks in advance!
A,

Like most facets of pool design the right answer depends on your personal preferences. We live a little ways south of you in Stuart and have a screen enclosure too. It's one of the best things we did for the pool. Makes it usable 24/,7 and we enclosed the patio as well. Do you need a cleaner? In our case, absolutely. I guess you could clean it manually if you really want to but that's a LOT of time and effort. We use our pool a lot year round even now when it requires a fair amount of heat. The pool does get dirty from dust and pollen especially days where the grass gets cut. We don't get a lot of leaves but definitely also get a lot of dirt and fine sand that blows in from the sea breezes. You can get by with a suction cleaner like we did for quite a few years but we switched to a robot (S200 type, there are several brand names all identical) this year. If we had it to do again we'd start with the robot. Pool is way cleaner all the time - we didn't realize it could be this clean this easy. Almost eliminates the need for manual brushing inside the pool. If you go with the robot call Margarite at Marina Pools. There are several brands of essentially the same S200. She'll tell you which one has the best deal. This varies. Consider the outlet location and cord. We use a cord cover that works great for us to virtually eliminate the trip hazard. Also, if you want to control using your pool automation you'll need an outlet within 20' or so from the pool that is powered from the pool panel. This is not usually very practical and a lot of folks like me use a smart plug for easy scheduling. Also it must be a clearer that has an automation mode. The Pentair Warrior SE model has this feature but it's not documented. For me, this is a very important feature as I don't want to have to switch it on every day.

I hope this helps and good luck with your pool.

Chris

That's my take on the vac vs 'bot debate. I think I included all the major pros and cons. I think my preferred choice of cleaner puts me well into the minority on this topic, as those with robots love them and recommend them highly.
You can get by with a suction cleaner like we did for quite a few years but we switched to a robot (S200 type, there are several brand names all identical) this year. If we had it to do again we'd start with the robot. Pool is way cleaner all the time - we didn't realize it could be this clean this easy. Almost eliminates the need for manual brushing inside the pool.
@Andome
You now have compelling views on cleaners for your application.
Dirk made a good case on the suction side cleaner for its light weight, easy of use
Chris has your same set up with a screened pool, had a suction side cleaner and move on to a robot.
Clearly a pressure side cleaner is #3 because it requires a separate pump, thus using more electricity and adding more plumbing

As with all pool designs, it is a personal preference and your choice.
However, I do like the idea that the PB will include the suction line (for "free"), thus if you plumb it to the suction side of your pump, ensure there is a way to isolate it in the future if you opt to a robot.
As Dirk indicated, having that piece of pipe in your plumbing is a good backup to whatever my happen in the future or be available for some other new technology.
Good Luck and let us know what you decide.

Thanks all again for the input. I agree Dirk, I'm going to keep the dedicated suction line, to give me versatility down the line if something else is needed. And I like the idea of a robot cleaner, with it actually cleaning the pool, but definitely don't want to spend over $1K on a robot at this time. I appreciate the input on both sides and definitely gives me clarity moving forward, as now I know I want the suction line. Maybe for now I will just keep my eye out on marketplace to see if there is a deal I just cant pass up on a Robot or SSC, but definitely leaning towards a SSC. It appears I have an abundance of time to make my decision before the dig starts unfortunately:mad:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
@Andome that is good plan to start with SSC since you will have the line. Just ensure you have a way to turn it off if you ever want to switch to a robot. Having the robot is a good back up plan because they appear easy to install and operate.

Thanks all again for the input. I agree Dirk, I'm going to keep the dedicated suction line, to give me versatility down the line if something else is needed. And I like the idea of a robot cleaner, with it actually cleaning the pool, but definitely don't want to spend over $1K on a robot at this time. I appreciate the input on both sides and definitely gives me clarity moving forward, as now I know I want the suction line. Maybe for now I will just keep my eye out on marketplace to see if there is a deal I just cant pass up on a Robot or SSC, but definitely leaning towards a SSC. It appears I have an abundance of time to make my decision before the dig starts unfortunately:mad:
I had a $1400 robot that had wifi and then a bad automatic software update broke it after 3 months, They wanted me to pay almost $70 to send it in for an RMA repair, but I said it I had to pay for return shipping I was returning it for a refund and they agreed. I then picked up a Pentair Warrior SE robotic cleaner from Marina Pools for $699, tax free and shipping included, and got a $50 rebate from Pentair. So $650 for a good robotic cleaner that I set up with automation mode which is way better than the app i had to rely on before.

I had a $1400 robot that had wifi and then a bad automatic software update broke it after 3 months, They wanted me to pay almost $70 to send it in for an RMA repair, but I said it I had to pay for return shipping I was returning it for a refund and they agreed. I then picked up a Pentair Warrior SE robotic cleaner from Marina Pools for $699, tax free and shipping included, and got a $50 rebate from Pentair. So $650 for a good robotic cleaner that I set up with automation mode which is way better than the app i had to rely on before.
I often write here about my pro-suction-side cleaner preferences. I'm not anti-robot, I'm just not into what I consider some of their cons. What I do concede is their ability to brush the pool, something my cleaner doesn't do. Something my cleaner and I have in common, if you twist my arm. Shoot, for $650, if that Warrior can brush as well as the big boys, it might be worth a look. I'd still keep my Rebel, for day-to-day leaves and such, but throwing the Warrior into the water every week or two for a few hours would sure beat brushing by hand... I could have the best of both...

We have named our cleaner Mattie, she loves to stay in the water. Our pool has never looked cleaner even though our "The Pool Cleaner" suction cleaner worked pretty well. If leaving her in means replace a year or two early we're happy to do it. She loves it in there and would not want to sit freezing cold beside the pool in the wind... can you tell she's already a member of the family?

We bought a Warrior SE. Having never been around a robot before, I was hesitant to spend the $700. It was easily the best thing I've ever done for our pool. I'd be willing to sped double now, if it was necessary. It's many times better than the pressure side rover we had before.

I would guess another $700 is just a drop in the bucket during an entire pool build.

Ours has been affectionately dubbed "Xena".

I often write here about my pro-suction-side cleaner preferences. I'm not anti-robot, I'm just not into what I consider some of their cons. What I do concede is their ability to brush the pool, something my cleaner doesn't do. Something my cleaner and I have in common, if you twist my arm. Shoot, for $650, if that Warrior can brush as well as the big boys, it might be worth a look. I'd still keep my Rebel, for day-to-day leaves and such, but throwing the Warrior into the water every week or two for a few hours would sure beat brushing by hand... I could have the best of both...
My thoughts exactly and if the main cleaner finally gives up, well I already have the robot!!!!!

Reactions: Dirk
It has the same brushing action of a more expensive robot. It's made by Maytronics, the company that makes the Dolphins and is the same as their S200. Brushes the floor, walls, and waterline like a champ. It can't climb my stairs though, the cleaner twice the price could but for the price I'm willing to brush the stairs myself.

The automation mode is really handy too. As soon as you power it on (either by flipping a switch or using a smart outlet) it starts the 2 hour cleaning cycle. Wasn't too hard to set up a timer and voice command to start the cleaner.

I leave it in the pool all the time and a suction side cleaner was out for me since I have a variable speed pump that I run at a low speed for long hours. So instead of a large unsightly hose in my pool all the time I have a thinner unsightly cable in my pool all the time. Different type of cleaner same type of problem.

I have a thinner unsightly cable in my pool all the time. Different type of cleaner same type of problem.
So why don't the robot companies come up with a wire that is threaded through a PVC (like a LED light fixture) pipe that is routed to your equipment pad (or other location) where you connect the controller from the robot. Therefore, you do not have to have the electrical wire on your deck. You still have it (the wire) in your pool but it is a "unsightly thinner cable". You can even get more advanced with a "wet-connect" on the pool side so you can remove the robot and its wire.

The next leap would be to have a wireless system that works as pressure pulses to your robot, therefore no wires whatsoever. It is available technology (used in drilling oil & gas wells) but expensive.

The next leap would be to have a wireless system that works as pressure pulses to your robot, therefore no wires whatsoever. It is available technology (used in drilling oil & gas wells) but expensive.
Whoa there buddy. I've already copyrighted that idea!

I kid, sort of. I've written something similar here a few times. A thinner cord is arguably less ugly than the big hose, but it's the cord on the deck that bugs me the most. That and having to drag a heavy robot out of the water regularly. So I half-joked that I'll buy a robot when they make one more like a Roomba. Cordless, with AI, that can climb itself out of a pool and find its way back to its own charging station. Perhaps that's two pieces: one that stops at the coping, dumps the vac head into the water, waits for its return, hauls it back out, and drives it and itself back to the "vac garage / charger."

Like you, I believe this technology exists, it just remains to be seen if anybody would buy a $5K pool sweeper...

I keep my robot plugged in behind the diving board. There are only a couple of feet of cord until it goes below the diving board. For me, it's more unsightly to have the cable floating in the pool than the small amount on the deck. I also typically leave mine in full time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.