SammyQ

Sep 1, 2021
Dallas, TX
Hi everyone! First time poster here....

Our pool is roughly 7 years old - our first cleaner was. Pentair Racer - lasted about 5 years then died. It was cheaper to replace it with a Polaris 280. The Polaris just randomly stops working, then if I untangle the cord, it goes back to normal - I've had it looked at and they cannot figure out what the issue is as it shouldn't just stop like this.

I'm contemplating replacing it with a different model - I see a lot of people in this forum are fans of the Doheny Discovery, which would be a completely different kind of cleaner for us. Should we get another pressure side cleaner, or invest in one of the robotic cleaners instead? How long can I keep it in the pool for if we do that? One of the benefits of the pressure side cleaner is that I leave it in the pool pretty much all the time, and being in Texas (with the exception of the crazy Freeze this year), the cleaner can handle long lengths of time in the pool.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to TFP :)

A pressure side cleaner uses the most energy/power to run and is from the 1970's tech requiring a whole pump to run... The new robots are really amazing and work like no other.. They cost about 20 cents a day to run and they scrub the pool including the tile line... I bought mine on June 2nd, dropped it into the pool June 5th and it has been in my pool since that day... :)

Mine is the Active 60 / M600

I too used a racer, get a bot if you can spend the $. You will appreciate the upgrade. Cheaper to run, takes dust and debris out of your pool system and does not load your filter. It is also easy to remove from the pool when not in use for a much nicer look for a clean pool.

If you decide to stay with a pressure-side cleaner, look at the Polaris Quattro. It is essentially a robot which is powered by water. Unlike other Polarises, it has rubber scrubbers in front and on bottom, and it climbs walls aggressively to scrub up to the water line. I had to adjust mine to spend more time on the floor and less on the walls!

Thanks everyone! Great feedback - sounds like a robotic cleaner might be the way to go. There are so many options out there - how do you narrow down the options? Are there any good websites out there that do an accurate comparison?

Thanks again for all of the help! Our pool is primarily rectangular - roughly 17000 gallons with a raised spa, so the robotic cleaner would be easy to drop in the spa and clean whereas our current pressure side cleaner is difficult in that regard.

Any suggestions on retailers that have great pricing on these that would sell / ship to Dallas, TX?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.