Pool circulation and pump motor rebuild

May 13, 2016
Walla Walla, WA
How often do most people run their pump/filter? Mine is not set up with a timer and I believe the previous owner ran it 24/7. I would like to set up a timer for the 1HP sta-rite motor and flow max pump. Any recommendations on timers and run times?
Also, has my motor sounds like a Cummings diesel at the moment. Has anyone ever put new bearing and seals in their own motor? How much of a project was it? Thanks!

I had a pool store owner tell me yesterday that he wouldn't recommend installing a timer for my circulation pump. His reasoning was that your money can either be spent on power or extra chemistry to make up for lost circ/filtration time. At least with the pump running 24/7 the water will be more aesthetically pleasing. How do you all feel about that statement?

That statement makes no sense, it's not an either/or. I have a Intermatic 104 on my pump, set to run from 2-6pm so that if I want to have pool time after work it is skimmed when I get home during the week. In 3 years I have never had cloudy water beyond pollen which is easily filtered out. Some people have theirs set to run at night to take advantage of cheap electricity.

There is no sense running a pump 24/7 unless you are SLAMming.

I've never run my pump for more than 8 hours a day - unless SLAMMING - and I dont think my water could be MORE aesthetically pleasing.

1f24b67a8ccfb1340d1aaeba56db8862.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.