Pool Chlorine Issue

Once I get the FC under control, is there a way I could utilize my chlorine dispenser with a little more freedom from daily chlorine additions? Or, the only way is to do it daily with bleach?

You're probably going to want to stick with bleach. AFAIK, the only form of chlorine that won't mess with your CYA is lithium shock which is very, very expensive and only comes in powdered forms (no tabs for feeders). Bleach is pretty inexpensive and once you get into the habit of it, the daily dose isn't a huge hassle. :cheers:

I don't know. The Dazzle web site doesn't have any information about what is actually in their products. My uneducated guess is - probably not to any great degree.

Do you have any ingredient lists for the dazzle products you're using? Their entire site screams "we charge you a ton of money for things you don't need while shouting the latest green​ catch phrases" to me.

Thank you! Could you also advise if my Taylor Kit is 1 year old, could I be getting false readings?

Yes, in shade indoors it was stored.

Another question is, I noticed reading that Vinyl pools do not need to worry about CH is that true? The store always made me balance my CH levels. I feel robbed.

You are doing great by the way, get through the SLAM and get the pool under control then we can talk about ways to make sanitizing easier. There are a couple of methods but best to not get overwhelmed you are getting the pool under control.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you get a lot of rain, or if you partially drain your pool every year to close it for the cold winter, you could get by with using tabs, if you start at cya of 30. You have to use the "effects of adding" section of pool math to calculate about how much cya you are gaining each tab, and you need to test at least twice a week to make sure your fc and cya are still in the right ratio.

Thank you for the encouragement Atttech-2 and thank you all for the information, continued patience and help!

Sorry to keep asking questions, however; I could only drain the pool so much via backwash, I am now refilling it. It is probably less than a quarter drained. I will fill it tonight and start the SLAMing process tomorrow morning.

Few questions;
1) Could I start SLAMing tomorrow morning?
2) I noticed when I started to fill the water with a garden hose, the pool water had a foamy sensation to it. I never had this issue before. Do you know what could cause foamy water when you move it a lot? Sort of like splash the water around, you see foam and it dissipates. Also bubbles like soapy water.

Thank you,
g3lo18

You are asking good questions and shows you are interested so definitely no bother.
No clue on the foaminess perhaps someone else will have an idea. Either way chlorine is a great oxidiser chances are whatever is causing it will get broken down with the SLAM.
You can certainly start tomorrow reread the process one more time, have several gallons of bleach on hand, do one more CYA test so you know what to target and be sure your pH is around 7.2 to 7.5 since you will not be able to accurately test during the SLAM and go for it.

Another question comes up is, with my test kit K-2006 came some sort of paper. Could anyone advise what that paper is for?

If it is a plain white paper it is to hold up behind the color comparator block to help judge the color.

Yes, you can SLAM tomorrow. Be sure PH is 7.2 before starting.

Hi Pooldv, the paper isn't plain, it has some sort of texture on it and has 3-d bumps all over it. I actually didn't think about it. It could be used as such, not sure if that is the paper's true purpose, however I was wondering how to get a better reading in comparing the colours haha.

In terms of PH, you mention 7.2. What if it is higher?

- - - Updated - - -

Or, lower

Will do! I need to make sure I have the right measurements and all the information. I will add it once I get all the info. Thank you for your help.

So I measured CYA this morning after displacing a lot of water. My CYA didn't seem to change much. I read about the test and found it is highly subjective. I tried to be unbiased and did it in the shade. After I drop the mixture in dot disappears after waiting a bit I believe I see a subtle very faint dot still there. Eventually I managed to drop enough to get it to 65sh from my opinion.

Any ideas if I should try and repeat displacement several times before SLAMing?

You should do the CYA test in full sunlight, with your back to the sun, vial at your belt buckle, and just use 2 finger to hold the top of the tube.

You can repeat the test several times by pouring it back into the squeeze bottle. Take an average of 2-3 tests. That will get you close enough.

65 is a bit on the tough side, so if water replacement is "easy" for you (cheap, no water restrictions) I would shoot for at least 40.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.