Pool chems, when is close enough equal good enough?

JonoVegas

Oct 6, 2018
Las Vegas NV
Pool water looks great, feels great. New to SWG but am getting pretty comfortable after startup period. (35% gen rate over 16 hrs pump time, still fine tuning %, would like to keep FC closer to 5)

Question is: CYA is 50 which TFP suggests is low, should I bother trying to bump CYA given everything else is good? FC "burn" seems ok. At 50% on SWG, FC was climbing so now in process of lowering the %.

My gut says don't chase bumping up the CYA.

CSI -0.09
pool temp 82 (but we are more often at 87)
solar cover on when not in use
FC 7.5
CYA 50 (perhaps a smidge low)
CC 0
PH 7.5
TA 110 (perhaps a smidge high)
CH 350
Salt 3800

Let’s look at each of your items, TA and CYA

With your higher Ta level it’s possible your pH is increasing faster than if your Ta was lower. If you’re finding your pH is frequently increasing, lower your TA.

As for CYA, it’s possible you’ll be able to keep more of the chlorine in your pool by increasing your CYA. Less chlorine loss means you’ll be able to use the SWG less. Less SWG use means a longer cell life.

So should you ever chase a perfect level? Nope. But there are benefits. ?

Jono,

I think that in most cases, close is close enough...

That said, I see a huge difference in my FC demand between a CYA of 50 and a CYA of 80.. You should not adjust your CYA just to meet some recommendation from our charts, but the levels we recommend are there for a reason. Understanding why we recommend a CYA of 80 is the main goal here, and then you can decide what level you want to use.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Leebo
Thx Leebo for reply, very much enjoy the TFP community! My PH is pretty darn stable so far, so the 110 TA isn't causing a PH rise issue yet.
Chlorine loss doesn't seem excessive so 50 CYA doesn't seem to be a problem yet (plus with the SWG, my CL cost is basically zero at this point) Of course wouldn't want a high CL daily burn but not seeing that yet, even with a CYA of 50.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.