Pool chemistry

Lisakay

Jun 29, 2019
Oregon
I just bought a 15' round above ground pool. I filled it and let the kids swim about 4 days. It started getting cloudy. I tested, it had chlorine 0, ph 0, hardness 0, cya 0, all 80. I added bleach next day FC 2 ppm but cya 0. I added stablizer and 3 more cups of bleach. Next day FC 1ppm cya 20. Then I researched and added 4 lb of borax. Now as of yesterday FC .5-1, PH 8.2, alk 70, hardness 40 cya 70 -90. Now I'm draining a portion of the pool and refilling as I researched to do. I'm really flustrated. I've never owned a pool. Any suggestions on what to do once I 1/2 drain and refill?

Bestway steel pro max. Above ground 15' X 48" round vinyl pool. Interred pump, flow 1,000 gal HR.
I drained 1/3 of the pool and refilled. My test today FC 1-2, PH 8.2, ALK 60, hardness 20, CYA 70.
I need to lower PH without effecting Alk.
Any suggestions

OK -- the test kit is fine. The strips are not.

Are the results you show from the kit?

As long as pH is in the 7's and FC is above minimum and below SLAM level based on your CYA, go swimming.

You really should drain half of the water and lower your CYA to 40 ppm, then do not add any CYA containing products. That includes trichlor tablets and dichlor powder.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You will still need to address rising pH eventually. With a vinyl pool and no SWCG you can use dry acid aka sodium bisulfate aka pH down.

I 1/2 drained my pool and refilled (15' X 48" round, above ground, vinyl) today. Tested and FC 0, PH is still high 8.2, ALK 50, hardness 0 and cya 50. What would be best to use to lower PH at this point?

I bought "clorox PH down" to bring my PH reading of 8.2 down to normal range. My pool is above ground seasonal pool 4000 gallons. Directions on PH down says is my ph is 7.9 to 8.0 to add 12oz for a 10,000 gallon pool. Breaking that down for a 4000 gal pool I think needs to be 4.8 oz. I may need to add a bit more after the first check as my ph is 8.2. Would dissolving it in a bucket of water first then pouring it in be the best way to administer?

I added bleach last night per pool math calculation. Total FC was 5ppm this am so I added 3.7 oz of ph down per pool math calculation @7:30am. I went to work, tested again at 640 pm tonight FC .5 -1, PH 8.2 or 8.3, ALK 50, Th 20 and CYA 40.
I entered #s into pool math. It said to add 29oz of bleach which I did and 3.7 oz by volume of PH down (how long after adding bleach can i add PH down?). ?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.