Pool Chemistry Reset - New Water, New filters, and New TF-100 Kit

May 16, 2019
Phoenix, AZ
Pool Size
Last weekend, 4/2/22, I did a drain, clean, and fill. My pool in in central phoenix and is around 12500 gals. I replaced the cartridge filters with new and am starting from scratch. Most importantly, I bought the TF-100 kit to start reliably testing my water.

As of this morning here's where my results are at:

FC 3
PH 8.2+
TA 20
CH 325
CYA - Not Tested

Currently I have leftover pucks in a floater to add CYA, and am using Kem-Tek LC from Frys as that is the best deal I've found. I'm also fighting a significant amount of tree droppings from the neighbors Sissoo Trees. I'm hoping to continue using primarily LC and augmenting with pucks for the two months when the water temp gets really warm.

I obviously need to address the PH. Tips for that?

Any and all tips / appreciated. Thanks!

Pool123.jpg

Check your TA test, not likely you have a TA of 20.
Start dissolving 30 ppm worth of CYA using the sock method.
Add acid to lower the pH to 7.4. Test pH every few days.

Most importantly, I bought the TF-100 kit to start reliably testing my water
:party:

You my friend........YOU, we can work with. (y)
obviously need to address the PH. Tips for that?
Muriatic acid per PoolMath
It may be in the pool aisle at HD/Lowes but is available year round in the paint aisle. If the bottle says green/eco/low fumes it is half strength and you will need to buy twice as much.

Pour a pencil sized stream at a return with the pump on high, upwind to not breathe the fumes. Brush well immediately after as it's heavier than water and may puddle up on the bottom.

If you find the PH wants to be a high 7, so be it. Any 7 is equally OK if your CSI agrees.

Put the powdered CYA in a sock and either hang the sock over the edge into the water (not touchiing the plaster!!) or just plop it into your skimmer as long as it isn't blocking off water movement there. Squeeze the sock now and then to speed it up.
or...conversely...
If you're in a rush and don't mind spending bucks- one gallon of Liquid CYA "Instant Conditioner" will give you about 30ppm of CYA. That's what I do because I'm impatient. SHake well, Pour, rinse the jug repeatedly to get the sludge of CYA out of the bottom and brush all around where it landed in the pool.

Maddie ⛳ Sunday at the Masters...who'll win the Green Jacket? ⛳

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.