Pool chemistry numbers, still have high CC

txborn

LifeTime Supporter
May 21, 2007
Carrollton, TX
I have been battling a small outbreak of black algae on the entry steps - the 2 steps closest to the water surface. 9 days ago I added a minimum amount of copper algaecide (9 ounces) and began scrubbing the whole pool with a stainless steel brush. There appears to be no trace of any remaining algae but am surprised of the FC levels after 8 days of no chlorine added after I initially shocked with approximately 28 PPM chlorine bleach. So after 8 full days of not adding any additional chlorine, here are the numbers:

FC - 12.5
CC - 1.5
TC - 14
TA - >7.5, <7.8
CH - 300
TA - 90
CYA-30
Salt-3000
Borates-about 10 Was planning to bring the amount up to 50 today.

I would think after 8 days, there would be little or no chlorine left, but 90% of the pool is in the shade all day. I'm concerned about the CC level too.

I have been battling a small outbreak of black algae on the entry steps - the 2 steps closest to the water surface. 9 days ago I added a minimum amount of copper algaecide (9 ounces) and began scrubbing the whole pool with a stainless steel brush. There appears to be no trace of any remaining algae but am surprised of the FC levels after 8 days of no chlorine added after I initially shocked with approximately 28 PPM chlorine bleach. So after 8 full days of not adding any additional chlorine, here are the numbers:

FC - 12.5
CC - 1.5
TC - 14
TA - >7.5, <7.8
CH - 300
TA - 90
CYA-30
Salt-3000
Borates-about 10 Was planning to bring the amount up to 50 today.

I would think after 8 days, there would be little or no chlorine left, but 90% of the pool is in the shade all day. I'm concerned about the CC level too.
You should SLAM Process to eliminate algae. We do not recommend one-time 'shocks'.

Your signature lists a SWG. Is it running?

You should SLAM Process to eliminate algae. We do not recommend one-time 'shocks'.

Your signature lists a SWG. Is it running?

I turned the SWG off as chlorine levels were greater than the recommended shock level for 4 days after dosing. The recommended shock level for 60 CYA is only 24 and at a CYA of 30, my shock level exceeded that for 4 days. At a CYA of 30, the non SWCG is only 12 and I am still exceeding that value.

I turned the SWG off as chlorine levels were greater than the recommended shock level for 4 days after dosing. The recommended shock level for 60 CYA is only 24 and at a CYA of 30, my shock level exceeded that for 4 days. At a CYA of 30, the non SWCG is only 12 and I am still exceeding that value.
Shock level is always 40% of CYA, regardless of SWG or manual dosing.

Why are you not following the SLAM procedure?

I guess I am confused. I went by the chart per SLAM procedures; I actually exceeded that. 40% of CYA would be 12 for a CYA of 30. I did 28 PPM and after 4 days it was still above the recommended shock level per the chart. It actually still is above the level for 30 CYA.

Maybe I need to raise the CYA to 70 and SLAM again at 28 PPM chlorine?

SWG is set to 0% Keypad said chlorinator off. Ok I will test again this evening and see where the FC and CC is, then do an OCLT in the morning. LOL the wife is not liking these high FC levels. She says it's hard on her swimsuit! I am determined to get this resolved though. I'll pick up more bleach today.

Editing to ask: should I hold off on adding the borates till this is resolved?

Thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.