Pool care comments that have made you chuckles

Pretty much everything I told the customers for years before finding tfp.
Regurgitating nonsense and misinformation passed down.
“Algae has evolved and is more resilient to chlorine”
“You have algae because you’re not running your pool long enough”
“Your phosphates are too high, your flow is poor”
“You don’t have chlorine because your kids are urinating in the water”
Sadly there is a lot of ignorance in this industry, and propaganda pushed by a lot of company’s trying to make money on products that reduce chlorine usage. I never heard of the fc/cya chart until I came here. Pool stores make money selling a ton of products, pool men make money taking care of your pool as cheaply as possible to capitalize gains. Cal hypo, tabs, copper, phosphates filter cleanings 2-4x a year. In 3 years it’s time to drain acid wash and refill because “the water is old”.

I was helping a member from here on the side that had too much to go over by PM so he called me. He said his PB blamed his lack of FC on his dog being equal to 100 swimmers.

I wove a tapestry of obscenities that as far as we know is still hanging in space over Lake Michigan. I promptly apologized for my potty mouth but I was so upset it just blurted out.

Pool store told me my salt cell was oversized and it meant I’d have way too much salt in my pool because of it. I tried explaining the salt added is based on the gallons of water in my pool, she didn’t get it. Still insisted swg should be sized at exact gallons a pool is. I asked then how would you increase chlorine when you have high usage if it was already maxed out. She just said well this is what I do for all the pools I put salt systems in, I guess she’s guaranteeing business.
Same person insists the liquid chlorine they sell is industrial about 99.9% chlorine.

I have definitely heard the pool store tell other people that the “shock” they sell is twice as strong as what u can buy at Lowes & Walmart- i picked it up one day & read it - it’s not, it’s just twice as expensive…
Every time I go in they are telling someone to throw in “x”amount of shock then when it turns blue tomorrow to put in floc - oh yeah & come back if that doesn’t work, We’ll help u out!

The one that really makes me chuckle is “when it rains your pool will go green” 🤭
People can’t figure out why I think it’s funny.

Reactions: Newdude
Same person insists the liquid chlorine they sell is industrial about 99.9% chlorine.

I guess, we need to ask @Leebo to add 99.9% LC to PoolMath.

Next time you go to that shop, then ask whether that's 99.9% trade strength or weight NaOCl.

• Haha
Reactions: KfenTx and Newdude
A work colleague of mine moved into a house recently with an AG pool. He was told by the pool shop that used to look after the pool to use a floater or powder Chlorine only as Liquid Chlorine will rust the frame.

Chlorine is different than bleach.
CYA at 90 is ok, but over 100 then you need to drain half your pool and add fresh water
Algaecide will clear a green pool

Sadly all these store owners are trained by the chemical reps, so yes, the fox guards the hen hut. Also, very very few owners even own pools.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.