Cape Coral, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
I'm not sure where to post this. My pool is fine, my pool cage is hurting. A victim of hurricane Ian. The winds basically lifted my pool cage off the ground - and brought a section of pool pavers with it. My pool cage rests on my pool pavers. My cage was never secured to the concrete footings underneath the pavers. The pool cage was screwed only into the pavers on all three sides along the 1" x 2" bottom beams. Now I'm debating whether to tapcon the pool base to the cement footing. However my concrete footings extend only 2-1/2" - 3" out from where the screws were originally screwed into the pavers. Am I safe to replace those screws and drive a 5" tapcon that close to the edge of the concrete footing -- without cracking the cement? If I dont do something, I'm told the pool will continue to lift during strong winds. You have to better secure it - or secure it somehow to the concrete footing. Aye carumba! Thank you Ian.

So Ian got us here too with 18 plus inch's of rain, we feel your pain. So I had some Tapcon heads rust and pop off lasy year, so 3 weeks before Ian I decided to replace them, so glad I did! However I did not go through any pavers . IMO I 'd be more concerned paver cracking not the concrete. So just maybe use a high speed drill for paver drilling( and Lanai metal footer) and a impact drill for the concrete drilling. I redrilled without and issues.

Attachments

• 20230323_084010.jpg
    20230323_084010.jpg
    283.2 KB · Views: 24
  • 20230323_083057.jpg
    20230323_083057.jpg
    436.4 KB · Views: 22
  • 20230323_083042.jpg
    20230323_083042.jpg
    500.9 KB · Views: 22
Hi, thanks for responding. Unfortunately, the original pool cage company rep was a downright a**hole about everything. He wouldn't even come out to look at my cage unless I'd commit to their ballpark estimate over the phone. I told him to take a flying leap. I wouldn't do business with any company that acts like that. I don't care how busy they are. Or how good. Back to my problem, yes "gsygrls" that's exactly what I was told by another person. You'd want to drill through the pavers first with a high speed drill and only start the tapcon impact drill when you hit cement this reducing the chance of splitting the paver. And then proceed with caution and make sure you drilled at least a half inch beyond the length of the tapcon -- and make sure the hole was clean. No cement dust. Plus he said start in an inconspicuous area first in case there is a problem. That way it won't be a glaring problem visually if it doesnt work. My thought was to replace every other screw with a tapcon with the thought... "Even a few tapcons are better than nothing."

See pics of damage.

Attachments

• IMG_20221101_093553783.jpg
    IMG_20221101_093553783.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20230112_123740523_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230112_123740523_HDR.jpg
    565.8 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20221018_084818983.jpg
    IMG_20221018_084818983.jpg
    221.4 KB · Views: 35
t I was told by another person. You'd want to drill through the pavers first with a high speed drill and only start the tapcon impact drill when you hit cement this reducing the chance of splitting the paver. And then proceed with caution and make sure you drilled at least a half inch beyond the length of the tapcon -- and make sure the hole was clean. No cement dust.

What he told you is correct./ Do it.

My thought was to replace every other screw with a tapcon with the thought... "Even a few tapcons are better than nothing."
I would do every tapcon .

Btw way do you have cable tie downs on the outside corners of your cage (stranded cable/guywires)? If so how many?

The sides of the cage that are NOT attached to the house should also have cables that are attached to the top side corner of the cage and come down at a 45 degree angle and secured into the concrete. Make sure those are anchored into the concrete and not the pavers with tapcons. If your cage has only two sides NOT attached to the house then you should have two cables. If you have three sides NOT attached to the house then there should be four cables.

Reactions: jsygrls
I have three sides not attached to the house but only three tie down cables. (Hurricane straps) They are screwed into the cement base. Probably should get a fourth. Thanks for your reply.

Reactions: jsygrls
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.