Pool Building Technique, Questions about Tile Installation

alnug

Apr 13, 2024
Virginia
Dear all,

Pertinent Background:
New to the community! Have a 20+ year old 40' x 20' in-ground gunite pool with standard plaster finish (at the end of its useful life) and mosaic ceramic tiles (many chipping off) with bluestone coping (coming loose in several areas) with autocover tracks detaching from the coping. Needs a total renovation.

I have a guy that was recommended by the local reputable distributor who subs for a lot of bigger builders and says he gets the best results with diamond brite. We are selecting cobalt as we are mid atlantic and would like to minimize pool heater as much as possible and aren't super bugged by variation with darker pool finishes and want to go with a ceramic tile to improve longevity over glass tile as it seems the install has to be perfect for glass to hold up.

Question:
This contractor offered the same price for ceramic and glass tile which made me cautious as it seems installing glass tile requires extra steps. When asked about his process for waterproofing and what products he uses to set tile, he states that he does not use thinset or regular grout but instead uses Boss 801 Silicone Pool adhesive to attach the tiles and then Starlike EVO Epoxy Grout 100 Bianco for grout the tiles. He states this combo is super strong and lasts longer than thinset.

Is this guy a hack or is this a legit way to carry out this kind of work?

Thank you and best wishes,

Dear all,

Pertinent Background:
New to the community! Have a 20+ year old 40' x 20' in-ground gunite pool with standard plaster finish (at the end of its useful life) and mosaic ceramic tiles (many chipping off) with bluestone coping (coming loose in several areas) with autocover tracks detaching from the coping. Needs a total renovation.

I have a guy that was recommended by the local reputable distributor who subs for a lot of bigger builders and says he gets the best results with diamond brite. We are selecting cobalt as we are mid atlantic and would like to minimize pool heater as much as possible and aren't super bugged by variation with darker pool finishes and want to go with a ceramic tile to improve longevity over glass tile as it seems the install has to be perfect for glass to hold up.

Question:
This contractor offered the same price for ceramic and glass tile which made me cautious as it seems installing glass tile requires extra steps. When asked about his process for waterproofing and what products he uses to set tile, he states that he does not use thinset or regular grout but instead uses Boss 801 Silicone Pool adhesive to attach the tiles and then Starlike EVO Epoxy Grout 100 Bianco for grout the tiles. He states this combo is super strong and lasts longer than thinset.

Is this guy a hack or is this a legit way to carry out this kind of work?

Thank you and best wishes,
I would be skeptical but never heard of anyone using silicone for tile. Id be worried about the tile flexing the adhesive and cracking the grout.

Here is the current recommended glass tile installation process from Oceanside Glass & Tile...

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0...l-Water-Feature-Installation.pdf?v=1625588595

View attachment 555220
1626430671428-png.355575
full
full